Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I will be in Idaho Falls in August,  what are some good spots for fossils within an hour or so?

Link to post
Share on other sites

This looks like a good few sites, though I don’t know geographically where they are situated. Note the permitting needed, and you should familiarize yourself with all the rules of the various sites.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not trying to be a partypooper, but here I go.  None of those are near Idaho Falls.  And they suggest Hagerman fossil beds... a National Monument.  Collecting strictly not allowed.  Also that site says that fossils are 'archaeologically important".  No they're not, they are paleontologically important.  Archaeologists don't care abut fossils.  

 

Just saying... be careful what you read on the internet.  

 

I don't know of any easily accessible sites near IF.  The University in Pocatello has a museum.  I have never been, but you might want to talk your parents into it (I saw on anther post that you are 13 yrs old, so I am assuming you are going to ID with your parents).  

  • I found this Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

If you take Highway 91 south of Idaho Falls about ten minutes, just south of the tiny town of Firth there is Wolverine Road that leaves the highway and goes into the Wolverine Canyon area of the Blackfoot Mountains. All of the limestone cliffs and rubble in this canyon are full of fossil coral from the Mississippian age, roughly 350 million years old. There are also gastropods and brachiopods, though they are harder to find.

  • I found this Informative 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Wayan Man said:

If you take Highway 91 south of Idaho Falls about ten minutes, just south of the tiny town of Firth there is Wolverine Road that leaves the highway and goes into the Wolverine Canyon area of the Blackfoot Mountains. All of the limestone cliffs and rubble in this canyon are full of fossil coral from the Mississippian age, roughly 350 million years old. There are also gastropods and brachiopods, though they are harder to find.

Will check it out thanks

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, jpc said:

I'm not trying to be a partypooper, but here I go.  None of those are near Idaho Falls.  And they suggest Hagerman fossil beds... a National Monument.  Collecting strictly not allowed.  Also that site says that fossils are 'archaeologically important".  No they're not, they are paleontologically important.  Archaeologists don't care abut fossils.  

 

Just saying... be careful what you read on the internet.  

 

I don't know of any easily accessible sites near IF.  The University in Pocatello has a museum.  I have never been, but you might want to talk your parents into it (I saw on anther post that you are 13 yrs old, so I am assuming you are going to ID with your parents).  

I will check it out thanks. You guys know too much about me :ighappy:

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, jpc said:

that site says that fossils are 'archaeologically important".  No they're not, they are paleontologically important.  Archaeologists don't care abut fossils.  

Some places lump them together. To some government officials, they are all “antiquities.” 

Link to post
Share on other sites

We only know what you tell us! 

 

I don't know if your parents are willing to drive you around looking for fossils but here's a LINK to the Idaho section of my pdf library here on The Fossil Forum.  You might find a few articles of interest there.  Just scroll down until you hit the articles for Idaho.

 

-Joe

  • I found this Informative 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WhodamanHD said:

Some places lump them together. To some government officials, they are all “antiquities.” 

yeah, I know and this is my little bit to educate maybe a few newbies in this here forum.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...