Graptolite or New Species?

Bev

SE Minnesota, USA

Ordovician

Galena Formation

5b2707bd3db20_graptolitesmaybe.jpg.adf217ea2b6babc00810bed75477cf3a.jpg

I'm sorry I do not have a better pic but it went home with the guy who found it. I just hosted a Father's Day hunt and this was found. I would say graptolites but NO SAWTOOTH EDGES! It did not, in the field, to me appear to be crinoid. I have honestly not seen anything like it before. Maybe it is just how it fossilized, but this was a wow to me!

5b27087c78980_son.uniquefossil.thumb.jpg.befbf683de9ae89be3160e0cb912277f.jpg

He was pretty thrilled! I would be too!  :-D

Thoughts anyone?

The more I learn, I realize the less I know.

:wacko:

Go to my

Gallery for images of Fossil Jewelry, Sculpture & Crafts

Pinned Posts:

I agree with Adam, ... this is most likely a cross section through a bivalve or brachiopod.

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I also agree that it is a brachiopod or bivalve shell cross section. I’m thinking more along the lines of bivalve, but I don’t know my brachiopods that well since we have so few near here and what we do have aren’t that big.

I think taking one of your tour/hunts would be fun. Too bad you are half way across the US. :(

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

WOW, I had no idea that this is what a brach cross section would look like and so big for this area! Thank you all so much for sharing your knowledge!!!

11 hours ago, caldigger said:

I think taking one of your tour/hunts would be fun. Too bad you are half way across the US. :(

From the Eastern half of the U.S. we are right on the way to the Hell Creek Formation (Dakotas, MT, WY) just off I-90! 

Go to my

Pinned Posts:

Actually, the more I look at it, I can see it possibly being a bryozoan. 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

9 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

Actually, the more I look at it, I can see it possibly being a bryozoan. 

WOW! Never considered that either. It is so three dimensional though it is extraordinary!

Go to my

Pinned Posts:

14 hours ago, caldigger said:

@caldigger, I think @Bev charges about 10 dollars for a guided hunt. But that DOES include airfare, housing, and daycare if needed. I suggest booking it soon!

3 minutes ago, minnbuckeye said:

@caldigger, I think @Bev charges about 10 dollars for a guided hunt. But that DOES include airfare, housing, and daycare if needed. I suggest booking it soon!

LOL Go ahead and get me into trouble Mike!!!   :-D

Go to my

Pinned Posts:

It might be a little too big and too flat for brachiopod shell, and the teeth... reminds me of Fisherites. :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

44 minutes ago, abyssunder said:

It might be a little too big and too flat for brachiopod shell, and the teeth... reminds me of Fisherites. :)

No, I see a lot of Fisherites and it isn't even close, too narrow and these are roundish. This is something I personally have never seen before especially so articulated. I've also never seen a brach this large here and I just don't see bryozoan. I'm hoping the person who found it will take good pics and post them as I strongly encouraged him too. This is not even close to anything I have ever seen before and I see a lot of Ordo fossils here. But heck, I am only familiar with this area and the common fossils we see here.  :-)

Go to my

Pinned Posts:

1 hour ago, abyssunder said:

strophemena_planumbona_int.jpg 

Some of our brachiopods are quite straight on edge,  flat and can be substantially larger than this. I am still in the brachiopod group. Bev needs to quit taking people fossil hunting and spend her time prepping this out so we have an answer. I am sure the owner of this would let Bev work on it.

He went back to the Cities with his prize. Mike, I still can't see fisherite in any wa,y shape, or form BUT you guys are all a lot smarter than I am....  :-)

Go to my

Pinned Posts: