Texoma trip to Ammonite Beach

Twinlukers

1 hour ago, JustPlainPetrified said:

As far as I know, there's no way to bring back any color once it's gone. Anything other than a satin or gloss finish would just be changing what you found. I have used Thompson weather sealant on my ammonites and sometime this will darken the suture lines. Maybe that's what you should try.?? Very envious of such a huge find. Congrats.

DSCN4267.JPG

1 hour ago, JustPlainPetrified said:

As far as I know, there's no way to bring back any color once it's gone. Anything other than a satin or gloss finish would just be changing what you found. I have used Thompson weather sealant on my ammonites and sometime this will darken the suture lines. Maybe that's what you should try.?? Very envious of such a huge find. Congrats.

DSCN4267.JPG

Thanks sir!! I thought of that. I guess we are going to do a trial by error on some of the half pieces we have for the garden. Like I said before I think we can use some acid colors that they use for concrete as we want to display them near our pond.

Here are more pictures from our trip. Can someone tell us more about the iron crustaceans we see around some of the devils toe nails we see?

125F1B78-C456-4E9A-A997-C3FCE232DADC.jpeg

07A63B65-FC3D-4359-9FA1-575C3841577C.jpeg

When we split this piece of limestone we found some petrified wood but no marine animals.

we also found the piece that has a quartized worm or something. Lol sorry were not experts but we are learning..

FB085363-A9D8-4472-A5FC-48A926E9F580.jpeg

EFE9593C-4202-4C2C-9478-1F6A77F2CC89.jpeg

3 hours ago, Twinlukers said:

Here are some ammonites we prepared for display.. thanks for all your comments.

AD8DE2D5-820D-4A1F-83C6-D7F80D9802EB.jpeg

49462FDD-94D6-46A5-8E34-34278A9023B3.jpeg

DADFB05F-2299-4E16-A1D5-2964B9D94DED.jpeg

Nice examples of Eopachydiscus lavicanaliculum from the Duck Creek Formation.

Consider buying Charles Finsley's book: "A Field Guide To Fossils of Texas" to help with ID of Texas fossils.

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

On 6/22/2018 at 7:23 AM, Twinlukers said:

Here are more pictures from our trip. Can someone tell us more about the iron crustaceans we see around some of the devils toe nails we see?

125F1B78-C456-4E9A-A997-C3FCE232DADC.jpeg

07A63B65-FC3D-4359-9FA1-575C3841577C.jpeg

Pyrite replaces some of the fossils in the Duck Creek Formation; especially the micromorphs such as ammonites. The pyrite is altering to iron oxides and hydroxides, rust. Look upstream of the dam for the micromorphs.

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

8 hours ago, DPS Ammonite said:

Nice examples of Eopachydiscus lavicanaliculum from the Duck Creek Formation.

Consider buying Charles Finsley's book: "A Field Guide To Fossils of Texas" to help with ID of Texas fossils.

Thank you!! I’ll look for that book as I have three books one called Gem Trails of Texas by Brad Cross and the book called Roadside Geology of Texas by Darwin Spearing. That book has really helped us with locations of the Cretaceous period. I’ve always been interested in the Geology and topographic maps of and area..

if you have any other good books on Texas that would be great.

Archived