FossilDAWG

When I stopped by the Aurora Fossil Festival a few weeks ago I was able to spend 1/2 hr or so sieving at one of the piles that are brought in for the festival.  The piles include Pungo River Marl (lower Miocene) and Yorktown Formation (lower Pliocene) as well as possible Chowan River Formation (late Pliocene) and James City Formation (Pleistocene) material.  Besides an assortment of the usual small shark and ray teeth, I found the following bone.  Any suggestions as to a possible ID would be appreciated.

Don

aurora bone 1.jpg

aurora bone 2.jpg

Kinda looks like bird. If you can show us the cross section it would help greatly :D 

Could be wrong however it looks like a tibiotarsus, basically a bird tibia, not really enough to say more. From the bone size, it was a moderately sized bird and looks to be in good shape, nice pickup. Here is a 3D model of the bone I am referring to, yours may be slightly different: https://sketchfab.com/models/0a9d6456e98b448fbb99608864711336

How was the festival this year?  Wanted to attend but had to visit a Museum's collections elsewhere so could not make it.

Don,

This may be avian. If you can indulge me with three more straight-on closeups, I should be able to take it further.
~~.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!