Baryonyx tooth???

DatFossilBoy

Hello.

Saw this tooth online labelled as a partial Baryonyx tooth.

I know these teeth can be quite rare.

It is from Wealden Bay, England.

It matches the colour and aspect of baryonyx teeth I saw online and spinosaurid teeth but I also thought it looked very much like a croc.

I don’t know what to think about it... What do you think?

Kind regards.

BD91DED1-A4D1-4329-A575-00A16AB430E8.jpeg

9EE19804-813B-4E08-A985-66F563223374.jpeg

D9765883-EDC6-4184-85A4-0B8897E9B9D7.jpeg

6F6A40EE-6100-42B8-A891-5CCE9EAD6F9B.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

Saw this tooth as well. I think it is a croc tooth because it’s missing all the defining features of a Baryonyx tooth (wrinkled enamel and fine serrations).

I agree but these teeth can be hard to diagnose with photos.  In the second photo there is possibly some evidence of fluting.  The seller is pretty knowledgeable, so if you are interested I would ask him why he's calling it Baryonyx versus Croc.

Hey that's my tooth! That's a fair question DFB. I have looked at this tooth very closely under magnification and have confidently identified this tooth as being Baryonyx because of the wrinkled enamel and it is only slightly fluted on the crown. Croc teeth are strongly fluted and don't show the same wrinkled surface. I tried to get the wrinkled surface to show more clearly in the pics but because it's a microscopic feature, but it has been a challenge, this is the best I could manage using basic camera equipment.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

• I found this Informative 5

3 minutes ago, Birdman said:

Hey that's my tooth! That's a fair question DFB. I have looked at this tooth very closely under magnification and have confidently identified this tooth as being Baryonyx because of the wrinkled enamel and it is only slightly fluted on the crown. Croc teeth are strongly fluted and don't show the same wrinkled surface. I tried to get the wrinkled surface to show more clearly in the pics but because it's a microscopic feature, but it has been a challenge, this is the best I could manage using basic camera equipment.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

Oh cool!

Thanks for the information! Nice tooth.

Regards

Runner64: The serrations are not there as that part of the tooth is not present. I described it as accurate as possible as a partial Baryonyx tooth crown (the tip), not a whole one. Hope this helps. :)

• I found this Informative 2

At the price it’s at currently it’s worth a bid IMO baryonyx or not, but I trust it is from what’s been said.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

40 minutes ago, Birdman said:

Runner64: The serrations are not there as that part of the tooth is not present. I described it as accurate as possible as a partial Baryonyx tooth crown (the tip), not a whole one. Hope this helps. :)

It does, thank you :) hard to tell from the photos as some of the details can be quite small like you said.