Is this a Carcharodontosaurid dorsal vertebra?

talon22

Hi,

So i have another question. Just saw this on our favourite auction website (no surprise there), listed as a Carcharodontosaurus dorsal. It is 9.25 inches long and not sure exactly what diagnostic features to look out for. Can anyone help narrow down what it could be. Also is there any red flags to watch out for - the seller says there are some glued and filled fractures but wondering if anything has been fabricated (looks almost too nice). Thanks.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpgs-l1600.jpgs-l1600.jpg

I was going to post this one but happy you did.  Looks like lots repairs have been done especially with the processes and transverse spines. 

Again we have very little info on Kem Kem bones but I don't think it's a Carch.   I think it has more features of an Abelisaurid.  The dorsal centrums from an Argentinian Carch contain pleurocoels which are not present in this specimen.

This has been poorly restored/repaired

s-l1600.jpg.076dc68f18fe94359397e9c472857044.jpg

Check the verts out on Abelisaurid out from Madagascar on what these verts should look like that are not heavily worked on.

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0062047

Like to get @LordTrilobite opinion he's better on verts

Thanks, i was actually thinking if it could be an Abelisaurid bone, but thought the chances were too slim (seems like only the teeth are found) - does look similar to the vertebras in the link you posted, so maybe it could be. Also interested to hear what others think of it.

Not Abelisaurid in my opinion. For a dorsal vertebra it's not nearly pneumatic enough. But I do agree with Troodon on the restoration part.

Looks like croc to me. The lack of pleurocoels points away from Theropod. And especially the wide zygapophyses remind me more of croc. So I'm gonna say partially restored/repaired croc dorsal vertebra.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

1 hour ago, LordTrilobite said:

Not Abelisaurid in my opinion. For a dorsal vertebra it's not nearly pneumatic enough. But I do agree with Troodon on the restoration part.

Looks like croc to me. The lack of pleurocoels points away from Theropod. And especially the wide zygapophyses remind me more of croc. So I'm gonna say partially restored/repaired croc dorsal vertebra.

Well I initially wrote my response as croc and after I looked at that Abelisaurid from Madagascar had a change of mind. Not all of those in that paper have pleurocoels.  I also wonder if the zygapophyses were properly restored and had a concern that overall restoration for the entire vert can lead to a misleading identification.   

The prezygapophyses seem completely original. And those are just as wide. So I'm sticking with croc for now.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Archived