JohnBrewer

I don't think it's a Mantellisaurus fibula. It doesn't seem to match either end.

Not sure what it actually is though.

Source:

On the Anatomy of Iguanodon atherfieldensis Ornithischia: Ornithopoda

by David B. Norman

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

1 minute ago, LordTrilobite said:

Nope, not a Mantellisaurus fibula. It doesn't seem to match either end.

Not sure what it actually is though.

Source:

On the Anatomy of Iguanodon atherfieldensis Ornithischia: Ornithopoda

by David B. Norman

Thanks Olof. Pretty sure it’s Iggy but don’t have any tomes with detailed photos and can’t find anything on the www. I did wonder if there’s a little pathological stuff going on. Where the marrow is showing there’s a black edge so could be arthritis and not an extended part such as a digit. It does seem odd that where the marrow is exposed it’s such a small area. :headscratch:

The book is a big tome published by the museum in Brussels. You might be able to get it there. I wouldn't be surprised if it was hard to get elsewhere.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Here is a monograph of a fibula you can see the differences to your bone. Not much to go on but not familiar with a mantellisaurus bones pissible3  Carpal or metacarpal?

Screenshot_20180618-134719.thumb.jpg.c6c1f43664e754faab01e769c0497dbb.jpg

Hand

5b2825572a28f_Iguanodon_hands.thumb.JPG.9ede1f8edb0468033f0d290afef4e27f.JPG

On 18/06/2018 at 10:13 PM, LordTrilobite said:

The book is a big tome published by the museum in Brussels. You might be able to get it there. I wouldn't be surprised if it was hard to get elsewhere.

Seems it’s online and not behind a paywall http://biblio.naturalsciences.be/rbins-publications/bulletin-of-the-royal-belgian-institute-of-natural-sciences-earth-sciences/56-1986/bulletin-9

I have seen pieces like this from around here but I do not know what they are.  I will say that it is a nice piece from Atherfield... most bones I have seen from there are rounded chunks.  

Archived