Calvert cliffs 6/18

Shark Tooth Hunter

I decided to try my luck at motoaka cabins today despite it being around 90 degrees. I haven’t been to brownies in a good while. Mostly because it’s always packed and the water is against the cliffs almost all the time in the summer. If I go to brownies it’s in the winter when the tides are lower. 

I found two things that I never find  at matoaka. A huge dead sea turtle and a decent meg. Also found a nice mako. 

I ended up walking around 4 miles, and I’d say it was worth it. Matoaka I think is somewhat underrated, and if you’re lucky it can produce some good stuff. Probably more quality than quantity, which is okay with me. 

Thanks for looking,

Conor 

E03505E9-6596-4A88-ABEE-3A3F8DDFFECB.jpeg

665F7946-BFB8-43D6-9652-F64CA9E176DE.jpeg

BE6507A7-609A-4492-9FFE-4F10352AB688.jpeg

image.jpg

I’ve heard you can pull out some nice megs there, but I haven’t been there in a while. Love the Meg you found! The Dead Sea turtle is a bit sad though, poor critters can’t catch a break. 

@Fossil-Hound wanted to see how Matoaka was holding up.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

5 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

I’ve heard you can pull out some nice megs there, but I haven’t been there in a while. Love the Meg you found! The Dead Sea turtle is a bit sad though, poor critters can’t catch a break. 

@Fossil-Hound wanted to see how Matoaka was holding up.

Yea seeing the turtle was quite a bummer. 

You are right they really cannot catch a break these days. Anyway hopefully motoaka will keep producing considering all rain that hit. 

Nice finds Conor!

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

2 hours ago, Darktooth said:

Nice finds Conor!

22 minutes ago, ynot said:

Nice finds.

Thanks!

Nice finds! Love the mako. Cool meg too. Matoaka is one of the few spots in Calvert ive actually never been too. Thanks for sharing!

• I found this Informative 1

@Shark Tooth Hunter @WhodamanHD yeah Mataoke Cabin's is a great spot. You may want to report the turtle and Meg to the Calvert Cliff's Marine Museum as they are interested in that data for research purposes. Don't tell all your friends about that site. The beach doesn't get nearly as much foot traffic as Brownie's Beach and it has some great untouched spots. Love the pictures. That area is so beautiful. Your pictures bring back some really good memories. Recovered my first complete golf ball sized Ecphora from there. That Meg tooth looks more like a C. chubutensis (narrow root) but I don't see any cusps. Excellent finds. I completely agree on the quality. Teeth from that location are usually very well preserved. It's probably a good time to go exploring with the recent floods and cliff falls.

• I found this Informative 1

Do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

4 hours ago, Fossil-Hound said:

@Shark Tooth Hunter @WhodamanHD yeah Mataoke Cabin's is a great spot. You may want to report the turtle and Meg to the Calvert Cliff's Marine Museum as they are interested in that data for research purposes. Don't tell all your friends about that site. The beach doesn't get nearly as much foot traffic as Brownie's Beach and it has some great untouched spots. Love the pictures. That area is so beautiful. Your pictures bring back some really good memories. Recovered my first complete golf ball sized Ecphora from there. That Meg tooth looks more like a C. chubutensis (narrow root) but I don't see any cusps. Excellent finds. I completely agree on the quality. Teeth from that location are usually very well preserved. It's probably a good time to go exploring with the recent floods and cliff falls.

I really love motoaka cabins and hope that it continues to stick around. The area is so pristine and does have the occasional diamond in the rough tooth. I’ll surely give the marine museum a call, and see what they have to say. 

You’re ecphora find intrigues me as they seem to always be so broken up or delicate there. I tend to find bigger and better ones down in Virginia. 

19 hours ago, ToothMan said:

Nice finds! Love the mako. Cool meg too. Matoaka is one of the few spots in Calvert ive actually never been too. Thanks for sharing!

It’s a beautiful area along the cliffs. Definitely worth a trip.