PaleoSHAZZ

Cataloguing software?

PaleoSHAZZ

My ever expanding fossil collection is without documentation. With all the details of the fossils in my head alone, is there a software or website capable of cataloguing my collection? Ideally i'd like to be able to upload photos of each fossil and fill in custom parameters and notes for each. Does something like this exist?

Note: I am running macOS Sierra version 10.12.1

RyanDye

Good question! I'd like to know the answer myself, welcome to TFF

Kane

You can set up a spreadsheet fairly easily using Numbers, which is native to Mac and can be converted to Excel easily by saving to that format. It pretty much has the same functionality as Excel. 

It is also possible to create spreadsheets in Pages (Mac's version of Word). You can create tables with several columns and rows, and you can sort by a lot of different methods even after the table is set by using the drop-down arrow by hovering over it and selecting sorting method. 

goatinformationist

And save each of your types in the FF Collections page.

paleoflor

Instead of using a pre-made, specific software you could simply create your own using a more general database program, such as MS Access. I like this approach best because it gives you the most freedom in what data is included.

crabfossilsteve

I've been using Trilobase for about 8 months now to catalogue my collection.  I've found it easy to use and captures all the pictures and information you need for your specimens.  For $16.00 you can buy the database which I think is amazing.  A free version is available and can be used for up to 100 specimen.