CBchiefski

CT scan of dinosaur eggs

Troodon

Interesting, thanks.  Any reason to think this clutch contained remains?

Were you able to determine if any remains were in the eggs using other methods?  

WhodamanHD

Extremely interesting, thanks for sharing! Is this type of thing becoming more common? I’ve always wondered why it hasn’t, as it can reveal so much. I’ve always just assumed the costs were prohibitive.

CBchiefski

Happy to share, and I think scans are becoming more common however the results are rarely shared with the public which makes them seen far less common than they actually are. It does indeed reveal so much and most importantly is non-destructive. I could not tell you what the cost might be, the scans we did, there were several plus this one were at no cost. Every scan I have been involved with was done without a fee. Not sure if it would go the same way for amateurs, we simply just ask the hospital or clinic for their help with the research via a scan and they often say yes. 

Edited by CBchiefski
Typo

Troodon

Thanks for the above replies.  What are done with eggs that contain embones/teeth?  Any effort taken to remove any of the contents for study.

Troodon

Well I hope you run into this problem sooner than later.  Embryonic material would be awesome to find.  

CBchiefski
11 hours ago, Troodon said:

Well I hope you run into this problem sooner than later.  Embryonic material would be awesome to find.  

Me too, I would love to have that problem. After working with enough eggs clutches perhaps I will find that one egg with remains.

Troodon

That's awesome and very cool that you could do that.  Imagine if you saw a pile of bones in one of these eggs.  :o. How long were they in there for? 

Looking forward to hear from CBchiefski

HamptonsDoc
18 minutes ago, Troodon said:

That's awesome and very cool that you could do that.  Imagine if you saw a pile of bones in one of these eggs.  :o. How long were they in there for? 

Looking forward to hear from CBchiefski

Each scan takes about 10 seconds, maybe a little longer depending on how close together you set the machine to take the slices. The computer software then takes the images (esentialy a bunch of X-rays) and can reconstruct them together to form a series and then can even make 3D models. Other modalities, like MRI, take much longer to gather images but will not be able to see the fossils. MRI uses giant magnets to change the polarity of water molecules within cells to form images and fossils do not contain water. CT and XRay uses radiation and can image anything. 

I was was hoping to see a nice femur or something recognizable but I don’t think that’s the case!

Seguidora-de-Isis
4 hours ago, HamptonsDoc said:

Unknown American egg from Two Medicine Formation

@Troodon @CBchiefski @-Andy- @Seguidora-de-Isis

Thank you so much for calling me here so that I can contemplate this greats wonders my great friend HamptonsDoc!

With a little imagination, it can be cranial material, femur and some hip bones...

image.png.b3cd1ba3dbd753ac05e84918ae0db907.png

But the truth is that these supposed bones can also be anything else.

But in my opinion there is something very positive with the use of CT, because if it is difficult to distinguish what each bone really is, at least one can be sure or not of the existence of embryonic remains within each egg... As for example, this your egg here that seems to me quite promising:

image.png.636257b99784c3f7eb6eb43e94a6df20.png

And since thanks to the CT already has certainty of the existence of embryonic remains inside an egg, then one can give space to other types of technologies... Like for example, the pioneering technology that uses a dilute acetic acid solution that corrodes matrix in a few thousandths of an inch a day!

image.png.176a7260d2d105128fc605e199d795ab.png

We are still just crawling on all this, and in the future we will have even better technologies and we will know much more about all it.

I thank you so much for sharing with us all this news! :D

WhodamanHD
2 hours ago, CBchiefski said:

We should talk about this scan though, of the pictures posted, this one looks interesting. It could just be due to them being a single slice but it seems like an odd pattern of infill from what I can see.

Could be voids. 

CBchiefski
13 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

Could be voids. 

While not impossible this is highly unlikely, eggshell is brittle by its nature and so often cracks, these cracks allow whatever sediments are surrounding to fill in the egg and depending on how recent it was laid, allow the amniotic sac and other fluids to drain out.

WhodamanHD

I was wondering if you have seen any evidence of endoliths in the egg? I remember hearing about them being found in China.