CBchiefski

CT scan of dinosaur eggs

jpc

Hmmmm... lots of interesting things here.  Those who have been paying attention for a few years here might recall that I am big fan of CT scanning fossils.  I haveno idea how to post a nice video, though/

Doc H.. it looks like your Oviraptor eggs are full of bones.  Cool. 

I am wondering about the CT video in the original post.  The eggs seem to only be visible when they are exposed on the surface.  I do not see them continuing into the matrix.  If the eggshell is not visible, small embryonic bones might be invisible too.  Might be worth separating them out and running them each individually, and even in a microCT.  Are there the bottom sides of already hatched eggs?  

HamptonsDoc
5 hours ago, jpc said:

Doc H.. it looks like your Oviraptor eggs are full of bones.  Cool. 

I hope so! Both are unhatched with full and 90% shell coverage so it is possible. Are you familiar with interpreting these images at all @jpc? I need to figure out how to post a high resolution video of the scans here so people can get a full view of what they have inside but the 3.95mb limit is a real set back.

jpc

yeah, I have done a lot of CT scanning and reading.  All those little white spots on the bottom of the cans of both Ovi eggs should be bones.  A video would be cool.  As would a series of scans seen from the top of the egg down though the base. your scans look like they are as seen from the side. Do you have the data of the scans?  You should be able to change the view so that the scans are seen from the top of the eggs.  The white dots are cross section views of bones.  If you can view from the top, you should get a view of the long axes of these bones.

CBchiefski
16 hours ago, HamptonsDoc said:

I hope so! Both are unhatched with full and 90% shell coverage so it is possible. Are you familiar with interpreting these images at all @jpc? I need to figure out how to post a high resolution video of the scans here so people can get a full view of what they have inside but the 3.95mb limit is a real set back.

Without the full scan it is hard to say about bones, @jpc could be correct though. To make the video I used Open Broadcaster Software and captured the scan window as it ran, not ideal and you may have to reduce the quality still to post it here. Might be worth a try at least, I would love to see the scans.

Edited by CBchiefski

Haravex

This is amazing thank you so much for sharing this with us all, and I look forward to future work on CT scans in this field.

CBchiefski
4 hours ago, Seguidora-de-Isis said:

As for the "Raptor egg", the result was this:

image.png

image.thumb.png.6e794295fd901aeb8e51360cfd82ff98.png

Some weird little things caught my attention on this X-ray:

image.thumb.png.196a72cf062ee35d6cdd7c99bed9c5a1.png

But they are strange little things, which can be anything, including air pockets or even "sand stones" of no value...

Or even who knows, the problem is me, that I am not able to interpret this information right or as it should...

But I will keep this beautiful experience forever in my heart! I was very thrilled and excited the day I realized this X-Ray dream.

And who knows, new technologies in the future, and more financially accessible can unveil even more secrets? ;)

@CBchiefski  @Tidgy's Dad @-Andy-  @Troodon  @jpc  @WhodamanHD  @HamptonsDoc @Crazyhen  :dinothumb:

Very difficult to say what might be the showing up on the X-ray, any idea where  it was found?
Just from the pictures and the X-ray it seems to be an Elongatoolithid, hard to narrow it down more than that.
Two nice eggs though! I like them.

CBchiefski
On 6/23/2018 at 8:49 AM, WhodamanHD said:

I was wondering if you have seen any evidence of endoliths in the egg? I remember hearing about them being found in China.

Sorry, just noticed your question. I have not yet however there still are many more eggs in the ground we hope to recover this summer so too early to say, just none yet.

Tidgy's Dad

What a wonderful thread! 

Thanks to all of you! :)