dinosaur bone

kachinacountry

Looks like black vesicular lava with striated outside that indicates movement before it hardened.

• I found this Informative 1

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

14 hours ago, kachinacountry said:

petrified forest area, stands 2" tall 2.5" wide 

Interesting, I was going to say likely a volcanic rock but if the locality is a petrified forest then it is more likely a piece of petrified wood. Does not look to be a bone as the "spongy" texture one normally sees in bone is not present. Compare it to any known piece of petrified wood from the same area and see how similar they are, if they are very similar then you have petrified wood, if they are not similar you may still have petrified wood or it could be volcanic.

19 minutes ago, CBchiefski said:

Interesting, I was going to say likely a volcanic rock but if the locality is a petrified forest then it is more likely a piece of petrified wood. Does not look to be a bone as the "spongy" texture one normally sees in bone is not present. Compare it to any known piece of petrified wood from the same area and see how similar they are, if they are very similar then you have petrified wood, if they are not similar you may still have petrified wood or it could be volcanic.

Most of the petrified wood from the petrified forest (chinle formation) of Arizona is agatized

This piece has no resemblance to any of the petrified wood I have seen from there.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

@kachinacountry What petrified forest are you referring to. The Petrified Forest National Monument is in eastern Arizona not western Arizona. If we have a better locality we can then look at the rocks and formations in the area to help give a better ID to your rock.

John

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

On 6/20/2018 at 6:05 AM, kachinacountry said:

found in wester arizona. 

23 hours ago, kachinacountry said:

petrified forest area,

Yeah, I missed the first statement.

I know of no petrified forest in western Arizona.

Please clarify the location.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

17 hours ago, ynot said:

Most of the petrified wood from the petrified forest (chinle formation) of Arizona is agatized

This piece has no resemblance to any of the petrified wood I have seen from there.

7 hours ago, kachinacountry said:

YEA  sorry  eastern arizona. near holbrook az

Ok based on both of those then I would agree with volcanic rock.