Just remove whats obstructing your view

Malcolmt

My father was an artist who did quite a bit of sculpture in wood and stone. Unfortunately I did not inherit his ability to draw and sculpt. He always said that he basically knew what was hiding in the piece of wood or soapstone from the time he saw it. He said the animal or abstract work  was always in there it was just waiting for him to take the crud off  what was obstructing the view. 

Well prepping trilobites is very much like that . You need to figure out the best way to present the bug really before you start the prep. You need to visualize the end product. Here is a Platteville isotelus that I received from a client in a 2 to 3 pound hunk of matrix. Not a lot to see at first but definitely a bug that is just screaming "Let me out of here"..... Also a bug that is desperately in need of a prep. Any time you can see an eye or better yet two eyes on an isotelus you pretty much know that there is a good chance that it will be complete

5b2a613a839b0_Unpreppediso.jpg.7f7c6b3b4a0f0d6eeaa45c635226d198.jpg

I started by trimming the matrix down to a size and shape that would be condusive to prepping and wound have a nice asthetic shape when complete.

5b2a621c39ebb_Croppedcutisomatrix.jpg.877738eac136f15b256bf1709b66a983.jpg

I wanted the bug to be 3D when complete so I use a dremel to make a grid pattern around the fossil. These pedestal islands then just pop off with my ARO scribe  leaving a matrix that is not just square edges. Square edges look horrible on a complete fossil, just not natural looking.  This takes all of 5 minutes as opposed to perhaps a good hour if I had used just a scribe. I also minimize the potential for the matrix to fracture through the fossil by doing it this way.  

Just be careful not to cut too deep

5b2a6465a7510_Croppedisogridpattern.jpg.d66445f98222b9b355049a2eb84d4a89.jpg

As per usual this was prepped under a scope using a comco MB1000 unit and a variety of scribes (Aro, Seally, 9361 and a Pferd) The abrasion material was previously used 40 micron dolomite with mostly a . 030 and . 018 nozzle tip. 

This is about 45 minutes into the prep

5b2a653123507_Croppedisostep1.thumb.jpg.5ea0adf560b1a64c04e9643d923d3d8d.jpg

The extra pygidium on the bug was removed and will be added back beside the bug at the end of the prep.

Progress is being made about an hour into prep

5b2a65d95278b_Croppedisostep2.thumb.jpg.06d839c9d8ac35b3d7ef0c26354c52a7.jpg

About 15 minutes later it is starting to get 3D

5b2a664edcb07_Croppedisostep3.thumb.jpg.808b0bc938d58df1826f7d90e5520afb.jpg

Almost done at this point

5b2a6697c7669_Croppedisostep4.thumb.jpg.51d3e081258d7befc7b3bcf2b3797c08.jpg

Pretty much finished except for adding that extra pygidium back beside the bug then final cleanup to remove any tool marks  and packing up to ship

5b2a672d52c6b_Croppedisostep5.thumb.jpg.bd46b7591c519e0f0993e4d5fd97032a.jpg

There is zero restoration or gluing on this trilobite, although the right eye is dis-articulated it is 100% complete.

Total time invested ... about 2 hours ...............cost to client $45 US plus shipping. Original estimate was $50 so pretty close. The finished bug is 35 mm long from nose to end of pygidium. The matrix now weighs about 1 1/2 pounds which is always important to watch out for. Anything over about 4 pounds is stupid expensive to ship from Canada. The suture on the right side of the eye has dis-articulated a bit from the bug but it is all there and shows how clean the sutures  can come apart.

I love the unobstructed view. Free at last.

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

What started out looking mediocre ended up being a real superb specimen. The magic you perform is magnificent. Thanks for sharing it with us. 

Thanks Jeffrey.. From the moment I saw this particular bug I had no doubt that it would be a nice one and worth prepping . The colour of the bug reminds me a bit of the ones from Black Cat Mountain. Anytime you get an eye that perfect ya gotta go for it. Missing Isotelus eyes are the curse preppers face constantly with that bug. 

Yeah, Malcolmt.  No kidding about those eye balls on Isotelus specimens.  Neat to see one from the Platteville being exposed.  

• 5 weeks later...

Gorgeous looking Isotelus @Malcolmt. I hope to get out east and find one of these someday.

Do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

Archived