North Sulphur River Trip - Teeth & Artifact

rcranch

I saw the first opportunity to get back to the North Sulphur River yesterday when the temps were going to be below normal for a change.  There was a really nice breeze blowing down the river.  Went to a spot on the river that I have only been to once before and access is pretty poor.  Thanks to whomever added the rope, it helped, especially getting out!  Quantity of the finds were low but the quality of what I found was great.   Found the largest Tylosaurus tooth I have ever found with a diameter just under an inch.  Also a shark tooth and one nice mosasaur vertebrae.  I always enjoy the chance to find an artifact, ever though they are rare, or at least for me they are?  I liked the way that JarrodB displayed his artifact recently, so I photographed this one the same and it turned out pretty good.  Not sure the type, could be a Marshall, usually I find Gary's, so this was a nice departure.  I will be watching for another cooler than normal Texas summer day to get back to this spot.

20180619_111342_resized.jpg

20180619_114007_resized.jpg

20180619_102726_resized.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

Cool finds! I love the tylosaurine tooth and the vertebra :) Congrats on finding that stuff

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

Nice! Love the tooth and the vert especially.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Great finds! The arrowhead is awesome!

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Thanks for all of the comments, the North Sulphur River continues to offer some interesting variety of fossils and artifacts.  

• 2 weeks later...

That's a good spot for variety you were at.The rope really does help.  Nice finds. I really like the tooth and point.