T-Rex Tooth?!?

finderskeepers78

Okay guys! I've been talking my little boys fossil hunting at Post Oak Creek in Sherman since they let out of school for summer. Trying to get them interested in it and FINALLY!!! My 8 year old(least interested) found this. Please tell me this is a t-Rex tooth!! We are all pretty stoked regardless but would love some insight. Thanks! 

IMG_8171.JPG

Welcome to the forum.  Unfortunately its not but from a fish called Enchodus.  Trex is not found in your area.  Nice tooth from a nasty looking Cretaceous  fish

Greetings from Strasbourg and welcome to TFF. Unfortunately it is not a Trex tooth, it belongs to a prehistoric fish called Enchodus , but I agree it is a nice tooth.

Life started in the ocean. And so did my interest in fossils;).

Well darn about t-Rex but still very excited about the find! Thanks for the ID! I love that we've found a place to share and ask! We have a boatload of great finds we need to get opinions on! Thanks again!

That’s a sizable enchodus! Nice!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Nice tooth! Thanks for posting it. :) 

Regards,

You might soften the blow of it not being a T-REX tooth by telling them it is from a Sabertoothed fish. ;)  

1280px-Enchodus_petrosus.jpg

Oh, and Welcome to the Forum. 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

They are definitely getting a kick out of it now! They have been on a massive google search all morning and studying away;) I love that they are enjoying learning!! Btw....that pic! Yikes!! I'm about to start uploading more. Some of these finds are from the North Sulphur River found in Ladonia. My fav place to go! 

The first item is a Squalicorax shark tooth. (Crow Shark)  Not sure on species, however. 

The second is a Steinkern (or cast) of the interior of a gastropod. 

Camera phones do better in outdoor lighting. 

Try not to get too close to the item being photographed.  ;) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Awesome! Again, these are finds of my 8 and 9 year old lol! I've yet to find anything this cool! Thanks! I'll keep that in mind!! 

Hi and welcome to the forum!!!

+1 for Squalicorax. Nice Colors on that tooth :) 

Cute gastropod.

Kind regards.

Thomas

Thank you! I hope I'm not irritating anyone with my photo overloads. I've got lots more. 

That color seems to be the general for all the teeth we've found. Nice dark and rich colors. I googled all I could and never could figure out that one. Glad to have you guys for help. 

This one is a deep reddish/orange color. Took it outside but it still didn't pick it up. This was actually my very first find at he NSR

IMG_8211.JPG

I'm going to post these under new thread just as not to get buried under T-Rex tooth:) Thank you all for your input! 

Archived