Is this even a fossil?

jgreben

I found this “rock” on the beach in Key West, Florida a number of years ago when I stepped on the bulbous part. The shape interested me so I kept it. Recently while watching a documentary about fossils it occurred to me that this looks strangely like part of a fossilized femur. I was wondering if anyone can identify this and confirm or deny my suspicion. Also, if it is a fossil, approximately how old might it be? 

78A46862-495D-43B4-8D74-42E19919A081.jpeg

E0082CB3-F05D-4F49-8DB6-FC5C9C446AFD.jpeg

Welcome to the Forum! :)
It looks like an interestingly shaped concretion, to me, but wait for other opinions.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

A rock, though Key West is named for its bones (Corrupted from the Spanish “Cayo Hueso” or “Isle of Bone”). Legend has it a Native American battle took place there, filling it with bones which where on the surface when the Spaniards arrived. This legend is supported by the human bones that apparently come up from underground during large storms.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Wow, thanks for the thoughtful replies! Having walked on that rocky Key West beach I can see why it has that legend. Not a particularly comfortable beach to tread upon. This it is an interesting rock, and a useful one as well. I often use it to massage my sore knees and feet, so I guess it’s a good thing that it’s not actually an ancient fossil!