Hunting Mimico Creek and Etobicoke Creek with Roger!

Monica

Hello there!

Yesterday, Roger @Ludwigia dropped by for a visit, and we spent the day together checking out my local haunts with Viola.

The day started with some coffee and brownies, as well as lovely German gifts from Roger: a Macrocephalites sp. ammonite for Viola (I don't have a picture of it because it's up in her room) and a Brasilia bradfordensis ammonite with a hitchhiking bivalve on the back of the matrix for me!!!  See pictures below:

DSCN3077.thumb.JPG.b5c60bb5cee4608afee0794c29eb3ece.JPGDSCN3079.JPG.c09d94071ab64c42b076190fc1a60d1c.JPG

We then piled into my car and drove to our first spot: Mimico Creek in Toronto.  The fossils here are from the Georgian Bay Formation (Upper Ordovician).

Here's a picture of Roger and Viola checking out the site...

DSCN3054.thumb.JPG.1176947518fe977049fb542ee6cfd844.JPG

And one of Roger wielding his hammer...

DSCN3062.thumb.JPG.c1d07dbdc2365e4b7dda9f48635cb90d.JPG

Since I'm still nursing my "fossil elbow", I didn't want to hammer anything; instead, I scraped into the wall of rock and I'm happy to say that I found a couple of sweet little bivalves: one with its two valves partly open (too bad that it's not complete) and another one with some nice ornamentation visible on its shell... @Wrangellian - what do you think? :)

DSCN3081.thumb.JPG.18c9f6b8b9faca0826f314339a777c1b.JPG

Roger did a little exploring and found some fossiliferous rock further up the wall  - I collected two fairly big pieces of this type of rock and, lo and behold, they contained a bunch of brachiopods and their imprints (along with some other goodies)... @Tidgy's Dad - I thought you might like to see them :)

DSCN3074.thumb.JPG.01cba852900f298c7cfd89c7cc4e2f65.JPGDSCN3076.thumb.JPG.0f812c8bd6f5257c43deafed23996b82.JPG

Here is a picture of the area from which those two brachiopod-laden rocks came from (I pulled them out from around the tree's roots)...

DSCN3061.thumb.JPG.9146ce9ce3bd19b038882596f0dcce78.JPG

And here is what Viola was doing while I was extracting the rocks...

DSCN3056.thumb.JPG.d184cc87bb535088539b5da0f4d1c701.JPG

After a couple of hours hunting along the creek, we enjoyed some sandwiches (and more brownies) under the shade of a large tree, after which time we hopped back into my car to drive to our second site: Etobicoke Creek in Mississauga.  The fossils here are also from the Georgian Bay Formation (Upper Ordovician).

Here's a picture of Viola watching Roger do some exploratory hammering...

DSCN3064.thumb.JPG.6ad9d6dd175a2a156b2fff94351173d7.JPG

And here are Viola and Roger posing for a picture - in it, Roger might be holding the rock that he kept from this location - it contained three orthoconic nautiloids...

DSCN3068.thumb.JPG.2531690b56f617cc79cfc4ed0e507b4a.JPG

After a couple of hours of hunting at this locale, we were in for a treat as we trekked back to my car: a deer ran out in front of us and posed for a picture!!!

DSCN3070.thumb.JPG.5d9ea0751bd703fb7c04701e7b2d3f09.JPG

Once back at the car, we drove back to my house where we enjoyed a couple of adult beverages and some dinner (which consisted of pasta and still more brownies).

Thanks for the wonderful day yesterday, Roger, as well as the stunning gifts!!!  Hopefully we can do this again next year when you trek to Canada once again!

Monica

Nice finds, and I’m glad you had a good time! That’s a nice Ammo from Rodger as well!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Great trip report! It is always nice to see forum members getting together for hunts. I am glad you all had a good time and found some stuff.:)

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

I like the brach imprints too. All nice finds, looks like a successful hunt! No pic of Roger's nautiloid piece?

Super trip report, sounds like the three of you had a lot of fun and a lot of brownies. :)

Thanks for thinking of me, those brachiopod hashes are really nice, a couple of different species there.

I also like Viola's boots. 

And the deer. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

9 hours ago, Monica said:

Here is a picture of the area from which those two brachiopod-laden rocks came from (I pulled them out from around the tree's roots)...

DSCN3061.thumb.JPG.9146ce9ce3bd19b038882596f0dcce78.JPG

And here is what Viola was doing while I was extracting the rocks...

DSCN3056.thumb.JPG.d184cc87bb535088539b5da0f4d1c701.JPG

After a couple of hours hunting along the creek, we enjoyed some sandwiches (and more brownies) under the shade of a large tree, after which time we hopped back into my car to drive to our second site: Etobicoke Creek in Mississauga.  The fossils here are also from the Georgian Bay Formation (Upper Ordovician).

Here's a picture of Viola watching Roger do some exploratory hammering...

DSCN3064.thumb.JPG.6ad9d6dd175a2a156b2fff94351173d7.JPG

And here are Viola and Roger posing for a picture - in it, Roger might be holding the rock that he kept from this location - it contained three orthoconic nautiloids...

DSCN3068.thumb.JPG.2531690b56f617cc79cfc4ed0e507b4a.JPG

After a couple of hours of hunting at this locale, we were in for a treat as we trekked back to my car: a deer ran out in front of us and posed for a picture!!!

DSCN3070.thumb.JPG.5d9ea0751bd703fb7c04701e7b2d3f09.JPG

Once back at the car, we drove back to my house where we enjoyed a couple of adult beverages and some dinner (which consisted of pasta and still more brownies).

Thanks for the wonderful day yesterday, Roger, as well as the stunning gifts!!!  Hopefully we can do this again next year when you trek to Canada once again!

Monica

Nice trip, great finds and indeed a lot of brownies :) 

Hi everybody, and particularly Monica and Viola! I’m still on the move, this time visiting good friends at Big Rideau Lake north of Kingston, so there’s not much opportunity to get into the internet and I’m having to use a tablet, which is new to me, so I’ll have to keep this short. It was a wonderful day with Monica and Viola, so thanks to you for your wonderful hospitality and enlivening conversations en route. And it was nice to have found what appears to be some nicely preserved nautiloids along with bivalves and brachs on the side. I unfortunately can’t post any pics right now since I left everything back at my brother’s place, but if you can be patient, I’ll do that at the latest when I get back to Germany.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

I enjoyed reading this report and seeing the pictures. It is wonderful to see Roger having a good time on this side of the Atlantic. It brings back pleasant memories of collecting with him in Germany last year. It is also great seeing pictures of your lovely daughter enjoying herself. Those bivalve fossils look excellent and I can't wait to see the nautiloids that Roger found. When it comes to cephalopods, he's the man.

Archived