Elk Teeth

BenK

I know this isn't technically a fossil so I hope it is allowed here but I'm looking for confirmation. Can anyone confirm that these are elk teeth? Thanks!

IMG_2597.JPG

8 minutes ago, BenK said:

Any thoughts?

Only been an hour since the original post, have patience.

Looks like a horse to Me, but I am not well versed with teeth.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

41 minutes ago, Harry Pristis said:

It's an adult selenodont artiodactyl m3.  I think it's too small to be from an adult elk.  Keep looking.

What do you mean by m3? What species of not elk? It's roughly 3-4000 years old and found in Missouri. 

I know what you mean now by m3 so disregard. Whatever it was was consumed by native Americans likely in the late archaic period. Just so you have the context. 

3 hours ago, BenK said:

It's roughly 3-4000 years old and found in Missouri. 

I know what you mean now by m3 so disregard. Whatever it was was consumed by native Americans likely in the late archaic period. Just so you have the context. 

How do You know this?

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

5 hours ago, BenK said:

For some on this forum, Late Archaic is not old enough to be a fossil.  But, I am more liberal in my thinking,

Now that you know the locale and the age, you can look for appropriately-sized cervids and bovids.

• I found this Informative 1

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

From a layer of soil that produces Late Archaic Native American artifacts. Again I know this isn't exactly fitting but I know a lot of folks here really know their teeth. Elk would make the most sense but I'm really seeking confirmation for the purposes of understanding this site and learning. I've come up empty from my usual NA artifact information sources. 

The internet is surprisingly lacking on mammal tooth ID.

Elk is a large deer, and this doesn't appear to be from a large cervid.   You might consider musk ox, but I don't have any images of lower teeth.

• I found this Informative 2

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Hmm...musk ox wouldn't make any sense due to me being in Missouri. This is really driving me nuts lol.

17 minutes ago, BenK said:

Hmm...musk ox wouldn't make any sense due to me being in Missouri. This is really driving me nuts lol.

Actually, during the Pleistocene at their greatest advance, glaciers reached as far south as Nebraska and Iowa so it is possible that musk ox remains could be found in Missouri.  You could call it unlikely but not impossible.

At a flea market a dealer once showed me a Pleistocene tooth from Iowa that he said was musk ox (identified by someone else).  Like you, I was very skeptical so I didn't buy it.  I should have, if for no other reason, just to show it to Harry and Fossillarry.

• I found this Informative 2