What makes a good Tyrannosaurus rex tooth ?

Fossilrocks

Good question and for me quality first over size. Also good provenance when buying a tooth,  like full location of specimen and if this is possible purchased from a trusted seller. Any quality TRex tooth regardless of the size is an real treasured to me. 

• I found this Informative 3

Yup agree with bobby Rico.

Color and quality matters the most for me before size.

I would answer the same way and have purchased,  Q over size.    However this is T-rex and the standard rules dont seem to apply.  Who would not like to showoff a whopper Rex tooth and thats were the sales may be going if options are offered.   I asked that question, just this year, of a dealer at the Tucson Show.  He sells LOTS of Rex teeth.   His answer was simple its all about size and it always trumps quality.  I can support his comments by the price paid for an auction tooth a few years ago.  The tooth in the photo sold for $56k  and in my opinion the tooth is ugly and poorly preserved but huge 5 1/8"  It also had cracks that were filled.

20180511_143839.thumb.jpg.e38e49e310c88960232d5f90c50e02a1.jpg

For me its all about crisp serrations on both edges, nice shiny enamel finish and color.   Position is important and favor anterior plug teeth over Pre-maxillary ones.  Minimal repairs.

Everyones views will be different and for some its not about either, because of cost its a pleasure just to own one.

• I found this Informative 10

Keep one thing in mind: Rex teeth are pricey. I read somewhere they have a worth of $1000/inch. So the concept of size over quality is an expensive one. 

The smaller, the better, but you want to make sure it's pretty enough to satisfy your rex needs. 

So I agree with what the above people are saying. Quality over size. 

Thanks you all for the replies. Do you know any websites that i could get a nice rex tooth ?

I look at this post marveling at my fingernail sized shard of a tyrannosaurid tooth. It’s got some serrations and where it has enamel it’s very nice. Although I’d love a bigger, better, more complate one, I am happy with what I have as I am not a dinosaur tooth fanatic (yet). Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Choose what you like, not what others like.

• I found this Informative 2

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

• Fossildude19 changed the title to What makes a good Tyrannosaurus rex tooth ?
3 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

I look at this post marveling at my fingernail sized shard a a tyrannosaurid tooth. It’s got some serrations and where it has enamel it’s very nice. Although I’d love a bigger, better, more complate one, I am happy with what I have as I am not a dinosaur tooth fanatic (yet). Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Choose what you like, not what others like.

That is a great point.  Years ago, I was helping a friend at his booth in Tucson.  A man was looking at a poorly-preserved Tyrannosaurus tooth tip for sale.  It had almost no enamel but was priced to sell.  He bought it because he liked that it was affordable and a Tyrannosaurus.

Some teeth are almost never found complete and almost never for sale so I if I can buy/trade for something like a large Sphenodus (oddball shark of the Jurassic-Paleocene) with two-thirds of the root, I'm going to jump on that.  

It goes for all collecting (baseball cards, stamps, posters, coins, etc.).  Do your own research so you know at least as much as the person you are buying from.  And yes, buy what you like.  You will go nuts agonizing over "investments."  I have fossils that are "worth" less than what I bought them for (who remembers when collectors thought Palaeocarcharodon teeth from Morocco were rare ?) but I still like them.  They are worth having to me.

Jess  

• I found this Informative 2

I definitely favour the quality/condition of a tooth as opposed to just size.  There seems to be no shortage of broken, repaired or glued T rex teeth for sale be they large or small.  Nice teeth are not as easy to come by and all seem to be quite expensive. 

A good T rex tooth... one that you found yourself.  This is the opinion of a guy who thinks these things are ridiculously overpriced.... 56 thousand... give me a break.  There is an idiot out there who now has 56K less than he/she used to have.  

• I found this Informative 1