Paleontology trip ... to the metro?

Quail

If you ever travel across Russia you can see fossils even in the subway and in the facing of buildings (In Moscow and Saint Petersburg).

Once an acquaintance walked with a dog along the embankment in the center of St. Petersburg next to his house and found fossil trilobite right in the stone that broke off from the Neva river bank. He had to quickly run home to take a hammer :D

In the Moscow metro, there are more than 50 stations where you can meet the fossils of ammonites, corals, nautilus, belemnites and other ancient animals that lived on Earth in the dinosaurs era. Among them there are both small and large enough - the size of the largest "inhabitant" of the metro is 60 centimeters in diameter. They come across not only at old stations, but also on new ones - it all depends on from what material are the walls built.

Materials containing remains of fossil organisms were brought from deposits in Armenia, Georgia, the Urals, the Crimea, Italy and the Moscow region. Most of the fossils in marble limestones (the transition stage between limestone and marble) from the Georgian deposits of Salieti and Moliti. 

98369.jpg

98370.jpg

98371.jpg

98372.jpg

izv51399.jpg

moskovskoe-metro-paleontologiya_1_1_79967.jpg

okamenelosti_v_metro_metro-elektrozavodskaya.jpg

okamenelosti_v_metro_metro-krasnopresnenskaya.jpg

okamenelosti_v_metro_metro-park_pobedy.jpg

When I was on holiday in mexico, the hotel had fossils in the shower tiles!

Yorkshire Coast Fossil Hunter

Wonderful! 

Always nice to see fossils in architecture.  :) 

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

Those fossils in the walls are stunning. I would miss my train. Too bad New York City used concrete and ceramic tiles in their subway construction. 

24 minutes ago, LiamL said:

When I was on holiday in mexico, the hotel had fossils in the shower tiles!

It's very cool! I think this is a special hotel for people who love paleontology :D Booking.com should take this idea ^_^

27 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

Wonderful! 

Always nice to see fossils in architecture.  :) 

Yes you are right. I will try to take photographs of fossils in the old buildings of St. Petersburg.  This is also very interesting. 

22 minutes ago, Jeffrey P said:

Those fossils in the walls are stunning. I would miss my train. Too bad New York City used concrete and ceramic tiles in their subway construction. 

I missed a few trains. :D Most people do not notice that fossils -they just go to work and and do not look around 

Ah very cool! Grand Central Station in New York City is covered in fossils as well within it's limestone walls (although not as brilliant as these). Cool stuff :D

These are beautifull fossils! Thanks for sharing!

My best local occurence of this kind is the flooring in the local hospital. Lots of belemnits and a few ammonites and maybe several sponges. Its a yellow limestone from southern Germany, not Austria.

You can find also some fossils in the foundations of old houses in my hometown, but these are not very nice, more or less white streaks (brachiopod shells) in black limestone of the local Plabutsch-Formation (Eifelium).

Franz Bernhard

Beautiful! I know a bridge that has dinosaur footprints near me, but there are no where near as many of those as there are fossils in yours!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

19 hours ago, Bguild said:

Ah very cool! Grand Central Station in New York City is covered in fossils as well within it's limestone walls (although not as brilliant as these). Cool stuff :D

That's cool! Now I know where I'll look for fossils first of all when I fly to New York city:P

19 hours ago, FranzBernhard said:

These are beautifull fossils! Thanks for sharing!

My best local occurence of this kind is the flooring in the local hospital. Lots of belemnits and a few ammonites and maybe several sponges. Its a yellow limestone from southern Germany, not Austria.

You can find also some fossils in the foundations of old houses in my hometown, but these are not very nice, more or less white streaks (brachiopod shells) in black limestone of the local Plabutsch-Formation (Eifelium).

Franz Bernhard

Thank you! In the small town where I was born there are a lot of buildings that were lined with shell limestone. This material was very cheap when there was a Soviet Union, so they were covered by all city public buildings. 

cadiz_shell-500x320.jpg

0_9ebc2_b37b6be3_XL.jpg

19 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

Beautiful! I know a bridge that has dinosaur footprints near me, but there are no where near as many of those as there are fossils in yours!

Сool! in St. Petersburg, many bridges, but unfortunately, the dinosaurs decided not to go to our city. Probably they thought that there is too much water it's no good for quiet life :dinosmile::D

8 hours ago, ynot said:

Beautiful!

I would miss My train also, even if I showed up early.

Thank you! I think that people who love paleontology do not work in the metro in Moscow. If this were not so, the trains in the subway would not move and stand at the stations.:D BTW, some time ago someone even made paleontological excursions for children in the metro, as it is safe and can be done right on the way to school:)

Wow - those are truly stunning!!!  I love the colours!!!  Thanks for sharing (and I look forward to seeing what you find on your hunt for trilobites... :popcorn:)

1 hour ago, Monica said:

Wow - those are truly stunning!!!  I love the colours!!!  Thanks for sharing (and I look forward to seeing what you find on your hunt for trilobites... :popcorn:)

Thank you! all that I find will be published on this forum, as well as news of geology and paleontology from Russia. and I'll try to talk about how we prepare trilobites.

1 hour ago, Quail said:

Thank you! all that I find will be published on this forum, as well as news of geology and paleontology from Russia. and I'll try to talk about how we prepare trilobites.

:popcorn: Looking forward to seeing Your trilobites.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

19 hours ago, Quail said:

Thank you! In the small town where I was born there are a lot of buildings that were lined with shell limestone. This material was very cheap when there was a Soviet Union, so they were covered by all city public buildings. 

cadiz_shell-500x320.jpg

0_9ebc2_b37b6be3_XL.jpg

Thank you for showing this! Also very nice! How old are these rocks?

Franz Bernhard

4 hours ago, FranzBernhard said:

Thank you for showing this! Also very nice! How old are these rocks?

Franz Bernhard

Hi! it is the shell limestone of the Neogene (Pliocene). This material keeps the heat very well. And this material is no misses the sound. This is the best material for music studios where you record sound.

Thanks for the info! Yes, good bulding stone, and easy workable, too. In Austria we have a similar stone, the miocene "Leithakalk", used since roman times. Our largest church, the Stephansdom in Vienna, is build with Leithakalk. Unfortunately, its rather prone to weathering.

Franz Bernhard

• 1 month later...

Archived