Giant sloth rib section

Fossil Claw

Score one for luck. I got lucky and won this awesome fossil to add to my sloth collection.

$14.99 shipped.  Sometimes you just get lucky and nobody else bids!

very rare sloth rib bone from the Pleistocene of North Florida. The species is either Megalonyx or Paramylodon. This specimen measures 6 1/4" long. This specimen is exceptionally well preserved and highly detailed. 

IMG_20180622_144419-2024x1518.jpg

IMG_20180622_144432-2024x1518.jpg

@Fossil Claw I actually was very close to bidding on this... it seems like it was fate that I didn’t because I’m really happy to see how someone else is enjoying it...it’s a cool fossil...hope you enjoy it! 

• 2 weeks later...

That is pretty big...just curious-- are their diagnostic features that you see that says sloth? 

Regards, Chris 

42 minutes ago, Plantguy said:

That is pretty big...just curious-- are their diagnostic features that you see that says sloth? 

Regards, Chris 

I would not have a clue.

Basically my trust in the wellknown dealer that only spcecializes in Florida pleistocene fossils.

No problem--I understand. Just trying to possibly learn something new.... I'm not sure that I've run into any sloth material yet down here except for seeing others finds. 

Nice addition.

Regards, Chris 

6 minutes ago, Plantguy said:

No problem--I understand. Just trying to possibly learn something new.... I'm not sure that I've run into any sloth material yet down here except for seeing others finds. 

Nice addition.

Regards, Chris 

That's because you're basically a "Plantguy".:P

• I found this Informative 1

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

1 hour ago, Fossil Claw said:

I would not have a clue.

Basically my trust in the wellknown dealer that only spcecializes in Florida pleistocene fossils.

When you depend on PrehistoricFlorida to ID a Florida fossil, you can not lose.

However, we can get some insights about what "might" differentiate this specific bone when we find it in the future.

Searching the Internet,  http://slothcentral.com/page/9?page:D shows what sloth ribs look like...

The fossil was found in a Pleistocene region of Florida, and this section is 6.5 inches and pretty wide. A lot bigger than human bones but not as large as Mastodon or Mammoth.

This narrows the possibilities.

On the right of 2nd photo, we are looking at the section that attaches to the vertebrae, moving out from the vert, it seems to be round circular, with an indentation running length ways.

That was a long answer... the short answer is ,  you identify one bone over and over, and you remember the next time you see it.

Here is a bone I found in April -- wonder of it is Sloth.?.. Does not seem as robust. 

Congratulations on your acquisitionIMG_1340.jpg.e989ff5bbca549d2407ddde4263280fa.jpg

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

I continued looking and found this TFF thread from 2013:

Looks similar to yours...

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"