Shark tooth?

bfree

Hi everyone,

I’m new to this community but have always had an interest in fossils and artifacts. This week I was in So California for work and walked down to the beach one night and found this. It looked like a large shark tooth but it didn’t look like images online. I’ve seen Megalodon teeth before and this looks like a petrified version. If it’s just a rock, that’s okay too. Thanks in advance for your responses. 

5F30FD39-8D6C-4478-9E8E-F92753BC47A9.jpeg

F68BF804-6913-48F2-A66D-C41E253EA961.jpeg

Hi.

Looks like a tooth but isn’t one... sorry.

Just a rock in a shape of a tooth.

When you see a tooth, you will recognise it immediately.

Regards

Your suspicions of it being a tooth-shaped rock are confirmed. Unless extremely water worn, shark teeth will have a very visible enamel layer on the crown portion of the tooth differentiating it from the root portion. Your find does not exhibit this and that is why you were having trouble matching it to images you found online. Haven't hunted fossil (yet) in Oregon so I'm not sure if there are deposits there where you can find fossilized shark teeth. There is a lot of great information (and knowledgeable members) on this forum. Have a look around and do some searches for "oregon" or check the Oregon section of the forum (scroll down on the homepage). You can learn a lot about fossils here so stay a while and soak up some knowledge.

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 1

Welcome to the forum!...Yep I agree not a tooth but I was curious about the porous looking nature of it, almost bone like? Can you show some closeups to show other angles...

1st impression actually also reminded me of a dirty sandstone/mudstone graywacke piece with alternating beds that I have from Northern California but would like to see what might be causing the porous and small flat elongated shapes. 

5b2e8319b51b5_closeupofunknown.thumb.jpg.f67661f521f3e6899553a7c272d8f1c9.jpg

Neat something...

Regards, Chris 

Welcome to TFF!

This rock looks like a granitic type stone where mineral(s) have eroded out leaving small holes.

Agree with the others-- it is not a tooth.

• I found this Informative 1

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

4 hours ago, ynot said:

Welcome to TFF!

This rock looks like a granitic type stone where mineral(s) have eroded out leaving small holes.

Agree with the others-- it is not a tooth.

Hey Tony, found a photo of the sedimentary rock I found that I was thinking about...its got an usual 4 sided shape to it and has some similar textures in the more resistant top and middle beds/layers. 

5b2ee4dc606e7_NapaValleyCaliforniaweatheredsandstonemudstone.thumb.jpg.67c1bfb1511ba70699e5e32e2b95a7b5.jpg

Without more photos of bfree's unknown I just dont know. I could see maybe granitic as you suggested, still wondering about those elongated structures...you thinking they are some kind of feldspar or something else? 

Regards, Chris 

4 minutes ago, Plantguy said:

those elongated structures...you thinking they are some kind of feldspar or something else? 

Feldspar is as good a guess as any other mineral.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

• 2 months later...

Rock.

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt

-Mark Twain

Yep, I'd love to know what's going on with the lighter grains/minerals?/Flecks in this guy...many dont appear to be clean forms/shapes and angular and seem to pinch out and arent a consistent thickness or form and look rounded on the ends. Also almost has a layered look/foliation to it...Could be just the angle and picture quality but I'd love to see some more closeup pics to figure out what's going on..

5b94fb083318c_closeupofmineralsofunknown.jpg.8e6fde1df923880871f10aebe6dd16e1.jpg

Regards, Chris