Need to identify

Hadi Ghadry

Can you guys identify this for me please? thank you! Very weird species.

My observations: skull and dentition resembling modern felines, with eye sockets to the front and sharp teeth pointing to carnivores. If you look at the feet, knees and lung, the lungs are thin on top then enlarge at the bottom, the knees are similar to ours (bent to the front) instead of cats (bent to the back) and has large long feet. These three factors indicate the possibility of a biped specimen? Notice how each feet has one finger with an extra bone, like some dinosaurs, maybe housed a claw?

However, the Waist bone and spine bending at the beginning of the waist bone show that the species is more inclined to walk on all fours. The problem is that this fossil is lacking arms, with no presence or indicator of even a shoulder socket (weird, or possible?).

I am confused! Please help :D

Small Fossil.png

Lower body.JPG

skull.JPG

feet.JPG

Welcome to the Forum! :)
It reminds me of a cat skeleton.

• I found this Informative 3

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

A few points... the "lungs" are not here. I think you mean the ribs.  (I assume English is not your first language, so I say this to educate you, not to laugh at you).  The knees do indeed bend forward like ours... all mammals do.  What you see as 'knees' on a living cat (dog, horse, cow, goat, etc) are actually its ankles.  It seems weird to us because the knee joint in most quadripeds is hidden by the body; it is not obviously part of the leg, like ours. We walk on our ankles, but most mammals walk on their toes, and the ankle is way up the leg and bends the opposite way of the knee.  This guy is missing his/her front legs.

It is a cat.  The teeth are definitely the teeth of a cat, from what I can see.  And so is the rest of it.  

Hope this helps. 

For a better understanding, here's a cat skeleton diagram to compare with. The most important bones are named. As, jpc said, some of the bones are missing in your specimen (scapula, humerus, ulna, radius, metacarpals, phalanges).

anatomy-of-a-wild-cat-skeleton.jpg.c8c4d73bd8cd7af9d03e262d79059885.jpg

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

agreed. Cat skeleton (an old tom or Maine Coon probably, considering the canine size). I found one in an old shed at a place I used to live in. I have two cats and cat skeletons always make me sad. :( Pets don't live long enough, sadly. 

• I found this Informative 1

13 hours ago, jpc said:

A few points... the "lungs" are not here. I think you mean the ribs.  (I assume English is not your first language, so I say this to educate you, not to laugh at you).  The knees do indeed bend forward like ours... all mammals do.  What you see as 'knees' on a living cat (dog, horse, cow, goat, etc) are actually its ankles.  It seems weird to us because the knee joint in most quadripeds is hidden by the body; it is not obviously part of the leg, like ours. We walk on our ankles, but most mammals walk on their toes, and the ankle is way up the leg and bends the opposite way of the knee.  This guy is missing his/her front legs.

It is a cat.  The teeth are definitely the teeth of a cat, from what I can see.  And so is the rest of it.  

Hope this helps. 

No i know it's the ribcage, but when I posted the info in the forum I was just out of bed :D but thank you for reminding to be more careful next time!

13 hours ago, abyssunder said:

For a better understanding, here's a cat skeleton diagram to compare with. The most important bones are named. As, jpc said, some of the bones are missing in your specimen (scapula, humerus, ulna, radius, metacarpals, phalanges).

anatomy-of-a-wild-cat-skeleton.jpg.c8c4d73bd8cd7af9d03e262d79059885.jpg

Thank you for this very informative image, this clearly clarified the entire problem.