Jump to content
Fossil Claw

Very productive brachiopod hunt on Kentucky 17 and Northern Kentucky

Recommended Posts

Nimravis

Nice finds @Tidgy's Dad will like those.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ynot

That is a lot of brachis.

Congrats on the successful hunt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Wrangellian

Wow..

Do you know the names of the species you've got there?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Monica

Nice haul of brachiopods - congrats! :dinothumb:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tidgy's Dad

:drool:

Lovely! 

Mainly Platystrophia ponderosa, but some nice others, too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quail

Wow! Congrats on the successful hunt. Very nice brachiopods. it's very unusual for me to see their dark color!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Fossil Claw
7 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

Wow..

Do you know the names of the species you've got there?

 

Vinlandostrophia cypha

Vinlandostrophia ponderosa

Hebertella sp.

Zygospira sp. 

Rafinesquina ponderosa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Wrangellian

Good! You might put labels in your pics to provide people with a little ID guide if they should collect from that location too...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Fossil Claw
5 minutes ago, Wrangellian said:

Good! You might put labels in your pics to provide people with a little ID guide if they should collect from that location too...

Dry dredger field trip to the same location I went to yesterday with IDs.

 

http://drydredgers.org/fieldtrips/trip201805p1.htm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Wrangellian

That's just as good I guess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ober

This was a nice haul for you.Were your finds loose as pictured or did you,have to remove them from some matrix material? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Fossil Claw
2 hours ago, ober said:

This was a nice haul for you.Were your finds loose as pictured or did you,have to remove them from some matrix material? 

Loose.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
erose

Good stuff! That Rafinesquina with the inarticulate brachs attached is always a bonus.  I would suggest that you may have more than one species of Vinlandostrophia (formerly Platystrophia...)  V. ponderosa and another smaller type with sharper folds.  Check out the Drydredgers web site for identification help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Fossil Claw
4 hours ago, erose said:

Good stuff! That Rafinesquina with the inarticulate brachs attached is always a bonus.  I would suggest that you may have more than one species of Vinlandostrophia (formerly Platystrophia...)  V. ponderosa and another smaller type with sharper folds.  Check out the Drydredgers web site for identification help.

I have the Cincinnati fossil book from the dried red rose I just haven't had a chance to look them up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Plantguy

 

15 hours ago, erose said:

Good stuff! That Rafinesquina with the inarticulate brachs attached is always a bonus.  I would suggest that you may have more than one species of Vinlandostrophia (formerly Platystrophia...)  V. ponderosa and another smaller type with sharper folds.  Check out the Drydredgers web site for identification help.

 

10 hours ago, Fossil Claw said:

I have the Cincinnati fossil book from the dried red rose I just haven't had a chance to look them up.

Cool finds. I miss wandering around Kentucky. If you get the chance to take more photos I'd like to see a closeup of the Rafinesquina with the brach attachments that erose pointed out. Pretty neat! 

Regards, Chris 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×