Paleocene vertebra from who?

Miocene_Mason

Went for my first time to purse state park proper (Douglas point is my usual Potomac haunt). Mostly for micro, but I did a bit of surface hunting. Found this beautiful vert, find of the day by far (disappointing otherwise). I’ve no clue what it is, though I assume some sort of gharial. My quick research brought me to eosuchus being the best candidate. With a surprising resemblance to champsosaurus but I think that’s unlikely. Any ideas? Gonna go ahead and tag @MarcoSr. Thanks!

9F058F25-2976-4B72-B3AF-7F756E8C3408.jpeg

10396564-C913-46FA-AA5A-1EA5BCD0F0AE.jpeg

CAABAAED-E2D8-4365-9F7F-F077E656410B.jpeg

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

2BC5900E-7199-4D99-999C-36EC32D0D50C.jpeg

DF1A4092-E741-4C6A-AC81-C803CF799983.jpeg

E96C5736-F4A6-47F0-A51B-1E0667628A90.jpeg

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

AB5C12CF-2790-4617-BC77-8532E1BC2246.jpeg

F10EB43A-40EC-488C-97DB-697A35BECCBA.jpeg

Happy hunting,

Mason

61A9CBF1-4544-4617-B2A5-04341D7F69AB.jpeg

529F5C7A-792E-4881-98ED-C428EF160E80.jpeg

Happy hunting,

Mason

It does looks like a Croc vert.  Quite a few described from the Aquia not sure the centrum will give you an ID but lets see what others say.  Not Champsosaurus 

45 minutes ago, Troodon said:

It does looks like a Croc vert.  Quite a few described from the Aquia not sure the centrum will give you an ID but lets see what others say.  Not Champsosaurus 

Yeah, sadly the neural Arch is gone.  I was hoping there would some diagnosistic feature but perhaps not. I looked at a drawing of a thecacampsia vert, looked different but perhaps it’s just because mine is caudal (I think). 

Happy hunting,

Mason

25 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Looks like a cervical

That explains a lot, now it looks more normal.

Happy hunting,

Mason

Definitely crocodilian vertebra.  I don't see any chevron attachment points so it may not be caudal, but the chevron spots may be worn away.  

1 hour ago, jpc said:

Definitely crocodilian vertebra.  I don't see any chevron attachment points so it may not be caudal, but the chevron spots may be worn away.  

It’s hard to tell if there were or not. Thanks for the confirmation!

Happy hunting,

Mason

Also, does anyone know about what level of rarity here? I’ve never seen another one of these, but I have a feeling that if I found it in twenty minutes it’s probably not the rarest thing..

Happy hunting,

Mason

16 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

Also, does anyone know about what level of rarity here? I’ve never seen another one of these, but I have a feeling that if I found it in twenty minutes it’s probably not the rarest thing..

I think, it depends on how lucky you are. :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

59 minutes ago, abyssunder said:

I think, it depends on how lucky you are. :)

This is true, typically my luck is not amazing (save the singular Symphyseal cow shark tooth). However, I’m a firm believer that luck can change!

Is this like Otodus rare, aksauticus rare, or Striatolamia rare? Perhaps in between one of those?

Happy hunting,

Mason

37 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

Is this like Otodus rare, aksauticus rare, or Striatolamia rare? Perhaps in between one of those?

Only Poseidon know this... :zen:

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

On 6/24/2018 at 4:30 PM, WhodamanHD said:

Definitely a croc vertebra.  Can't really say more than that about the id.  I've hunted the Palaeocene Aquia Formation for over forty years and only have 4 or 5 croc vertebrae from it.  I've seen more skull and jaw pieces than vertebrae so a vertebra is pretty uncommon based upon my experience.  The below poster presentation will give you an idea of the crocodilian fauna from the Aquia Formation of VA/MD.

image.thumb.png.20da1559dbb5e35232481d483f90f3ab.png

Marco Sr.

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

On June 24, 2018 at 7:15 AM, WhodamanHD said:

Yeah, sadly the neural Arch is gone.  I was hoping there would some diagnosistic feature but perhaps not. I looked at a drawing of a thecacampsia vert, looked different but perhaps it’s just because mine is caudal (I think). 

I've seen crocodilian vertebrae from Miocene sites that break that way too.  It seems like a natural plane of separation because the break tends to look clean if there is less than moderate weathering.  I have one from a Florida site like that.

8 minutes ago, siteseer said:

I've seen crocodilian vertebrae from Miocene sites that break that way too.  It seems like a natural plane of separation because the break tends to look clean if there is less than moderate weathering.  I have one from a Florida site like that.

Yeah, it’s quite thin there. Cetecean verts do the same thing. Ive got some fossil alligator vertebrae, ones got it, one doesn’t, and one has part of it. Luck of the draw?

Happy hunting,

Mason

missing neural arches is normal for fossilized croc verts, form my experience.  Jurassic, Cretaceous, Paleocene, Eocene of Wyoming and surrounding states.  

A complete croc vert is a great find around here.  

On 6/25/2018 at 4:52 PM, MarcoSr said:

Definitely a croc vertebra.  Can't really say more than that about the id.  I've hunted the Palaeocene Aquia Formation for over forty years and only have 4 or 5 croc vertebrae from it.  I've seen more skull and jaw pieces than vertebrae so a vertebra is pretty uncommon based upon my experience.  The below poster presentation will give you an idea of the crocodilian fauna from the Aquia Formation of VA/MD.

image.thumb.png.20da1559dbb5e35232481d483f90f3ab.png

Marco Sr.

Thanks! I wonder why the vertebrae would be rare, a lot more of them than skulls! I’m quite happy about finding one though! I read that one paper, but it was a while ago. It’s very nice and informative. I’ve just sent a membership form to the Maryland Geological Society, figured it is he logical next step for my fossil-hunting. 

Happy hunting,

Mason

On 6/25/2018 at 7:09 PM, jpc said:

missing neural arches is normal for fossilized croc verts, form my experience.  Jurassic, Cretaceous, Paleocene, Eocene of Wyoming and surrounding states.  

A complete croc vert is a great find around here.  

Think I’m gonna have to add a complete crocodile vert to my “To-Find List”:D

Happy hunting,

Mason

On 6/24/2018 at 6:28 PM, abyssunder said:

Only Poseidon know this... :zen:

Apparently Poseidon OR Marco Sr!

Happy hunting,

Mason

Archived