Montague New Jersey Devonian

frankh8147

I recently took a break from my usual Cretaceous streams and met up with another forum member in Montague NJ for some Devonian fossils. I had a really good time and came back  with some nice fossils.

First of all, the scenery is amazing - Montague is up in the mountains of Northern New Jersey and this spot was basically on a mountain. I saw deer and wild turkeys and also heard that there were bears in the area too. I found the usual trilobite parts but my favorite find of the day were the nautiloids (Weller has them as Orthoceras but I believe that species was reclassified - I could be wrong), which both came out of the same rock. I had no idea coming in that you could find these guys here! 

Overall, it was a great day at a nice nice spot!

tr1.jpg

tr2.jpg

tr3.jpg

tr9.jpg

trbest.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

The trilobites are: Phalangocephalus dentatus

image.thumb.png.d2eede4803cefaf563f52d33a2f9cf74.png

figures from:

Campbell, K.S.W. 1977
Trilobites of the Haragan, Bois D'Arc and Frisco Formations (Early Devonian) Arbuckle Mountains Region, Oklahoma.
Oklahoma Geological Survey Bulletin, 123:1-227

• I found this Informative 4

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Thanks for your post,  Those nautiloids look great!

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

Those orthoconic nautiloids are nice, but I love your little high-spired gastropod - what a beauty!!! :wub:

The gastropod is Loxonema jerseyensis. Weller identified the new species  in1903. Collected from the same location as your fine specimen.

Loves the trilos and the Orthocone! You are right; Orthoceras is only found in Northern Europe to my knowledge. Gotta love the trilobite ridge, found my first trilo-bit there.  

• I found this Informative 1

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

11 hours ago, GordonC said:

The gastropod is Loxonema jerseyensis. Weller identified the new species  in1903. Collected from the same location as your fine specimen.

Thanks for the ID Gordon! Much appreciated. :)

11 hours ago, Monica said:

Those orthoconic nautiloids are nice, but I love your little high-spired gastropod - what a beauty!!! :wub:

Thanks Monica! That's one of my favorites of the trip; here is a close-up

snail.jpg

9 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

Loves the trilos and the Orthocone! You are right; Orthoceras is only found in Northern Europe to my knowledge. Gotta love the trilobite ridge, found my first trilo-bit there.  

That's what I'm seeing also. Besides Weller's report from over 100 years ago I haven't really been able to find anything on these from New Jersey... Glad to hear you got to collect there - it's a beautiful location!

Thanks for the help the other day with the cetacean bone!

2 hours ago, frankh8147 said:

That's what I'm seeing also. Besides Weller's report from over 100 years ago I haven't really been able to find anything on these from New Jersey... Glad to hear you got to collect there - it's a beautiful location!

Thanks for the help the other day with the cetacean bone!

I could find anything else on the orthocerids from there either.  Maybe someone who knows will come along. 

It is quite a nice location! Loved the Turkeys. Also very nice of the man to allow fossil hunters such as ourselves to hunt there.

No problem! Nice job finding it:dinothumb:

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Wow really cool.  Jersey is just full of cool stuff If you look in the right places...congrats on those finds!

• 8 months later...

Hello I’m new to this haven’t collected since I was a kid ...I’m 51 now. I live about 20 minutes from Montague and would love to check out the ridge in Montague. Any advice would be appreciated.