Shark Tooth Changing Color?

SerratedTeeth

Hey guys, not really sure about this because I've never seen it happen, and I cant find anything online about it. One of my recent Great White tooth finds has started changing color. I haven't tried cleaning it whatsoever either. When it was found, it was a grayish black. Now it has some very prominent light brown colors coming out in it. Is there a good reason for why this might happen? Not sure if its normal or not. Just do not want it to become damaged. Here's a photo showing the coloration that is becoming more and more visible.

IMG_7642.JPG

The chemical composition making up the tooth could be reacting with some chemical in the air (oxidizing?) and changing color as a result. Was the tooth found completely buried before, and do you hold any sort of gaseous chemicals in the house?

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

When sharkteeth are found in the water, they will change color as they dry out.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

45 minutes ago, Darktooth said:

Both these fine gents are correct.

When drying out after being in water and getting exposed to oxygen after being buried in an  anaerobic environment. 

Lots of collectors seek out these colored teeth in that each one is a unique work of art. Yours looks to be no exception, very nice!

6 hours ago, Macrophyseter said:

The chemical composition making up the tooth could be reacting with some chemical in the air (oxidizing?) and changing color as a result. Was the tooth found completely buried before, and do you hold any sort of gaseous chemicals in the house?

1 hour ago, Darktooth said:

That is what I was assuming, but since I had never seen it happen before and couldn't find anything online about it I wanted to get some other opinions!

38 minutes ago, caldigger said:

Lots of collectors seek out these colored teeth in that each one is a unique work of art. Yours looks to be no exception, very nice!

I agree! Even though I wasn't sure exactly what was going on, I couldn't help but think it was very artistic and unique looking.

The first pristine mako I ever found was at Brownies beach. The tooth was in a block of matrix that had soaked during high tide. When I found it the root was dark brown and the blade was tbe prettiest shade of blue I had ever seen. I was a newbie so I didn't know about the color change. Slowly over time it turned green and finally a drab tan. I was disappointed that it lost the nice blue but it is still an awesome tooth.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

The first big tooth I had found was a good size C. hastalis.  It was a brilliant sky blue for the first 30 minutes or so then slowly turned a dull grey. But I'll always remember that beautiful color that it was.

@Darktooth Yeah this was my first completely in tact GW, I just wanted to make sure it was normal! I have found different coloration's in the past but had never seen it change as it started to dry out. I honestly think the changes its going through is making it even more stunning than when I found it! I guess its just the luck of the draw :shrug:. You don't by chance have any photos of that Mako do you?

1 hour ago, SerratedTeeth said:

@Darktooth Yeah this was my first completely in tact GW, I just wanted to make sure it was normal! I have found different coloration's in the past but had never seen it change as it started to dry out. I honestly think the changes its going through is making it even more stunning than when I found it! I guess its just the luck of the draw :shrug:. You don't by chance have any photos of that Mako do you?

I will take some pics when I get home from work. I will also take pics of teeth that dried out with better colors then when they were wet.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

Just now, Darktooth said:

I will take some pics when I get home from work. 

Awesome! Can't wait to see them!

40 minutes ago, Bone guy said:

Is there a way to preserve the original colors as-found? 

I think there is a way to coat the tooth and prevent the fossil from oxidizing, at least I've seen such coating being used in museums on fossils they want you to feel to prevent damage.

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

55 minutes ago, Macrophyseter said:

I think there is a way to coat the tooth and prevent the fossil from oxidizing, at least I've seen such coating being used in museums on fossils they want you to feel to prevent damage.

Trouble with this is teeth will either have to be washed and or dry to coat.

By that time its too late.

11 hours ago, caldigger said:

Both these fine gents are correct.

When drying out after being in water and getting exposed to oxygen after being buried in an  anaerobic environment. 

Hi Caldigger,

At the "west quarry" on the Ernst property (maybe 15 years ago), I dug out a C. hastalis tooth that was watermelon-pink, but right before my eyes, it faded to a darker mix of color.  Bob Ernst told me if I had hit it with glyptol right away, the color might have been preserved.

Jess

@SerratedTeeth here is a pic of the mako its about 1+7/8 inch. I will takes pics of other teeth In a bit.

20180625_185254.jpg

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

Here is a sandtiger that started out  very dark greenish/ black. Now is mottled blue/ yellow.

20180625_191213.jpg

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

Many of the teeth I have gotten from "The Hills" have started out very dark brown and have changed to oranges, yellows, and lighter mottled colors. 

Its actually interesting to see what some turn out to look like. Much nicer than when first discovered I think.

@Darktooth wow that mako is awesome! It looks like it still has a little bit of that blue hue you were talking about. I haven’t been able to find a nice sand tiger like that yet either. Always found them with the root broken or without the cusps. 

There is a little bit of color there but when I found it, it was the color of a Robins egg or the sky.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I'd imagine the teeth react to different gases. I wonder if storing 3 different teeth in 3 different containers filled with 3 different kinds of gases would yield different colors....

@Bone guy I’m actually going back to hunt again soon. I could try and keep some of them stored in sediment and water until I got home and attempt your gas theory. Any idea of what I could try?

14 hours ago, SerratedTeeth said:

I’m actually going back to hunt again soon. I could try and keep some of them stored in sediment and water until I got home and attempt your gas theory. Any idea of what I could try?

Not really sure. Maybe helium? Pure oxygen? 

9 minutes ago, Bone guy said:

Not really sure. Maybe helium? Pure oxygen? 

I'll do a little research and see what I can come up with... always up for a good experiment. Ill document it all and post it if there are any changes to their coloration. PM me if you come up with any other ideas I can test out.

Archived