Shark Tooth Changing Color?

SerratedTeeth

44 minutes ago, Bone guy said:

Not really sure. Maybe helium? Pure oxygen? 

I should think an inert gas would be your best bet. It will really oxidize with pure Oxygen.

• I found this Informative 1

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/25/2018 at 4:43 PM, caldigger said:

Many of the teeth I have gotten from "The Hills" have started out very dark brown and have changed to oranges, yellows, and lighter mottled colors. 

Its actually interesting to see what some turn out to look like. Much nicer than when first discovered I think.

Hi Caldigger,

Have you noticed that few STH teeth end up being brown?  I have teeth in different colors and color combinations but maybe just a couple of teeth that are outright brown.

I have an Allosdesmus tooth that had some very bright color (red, yellow) but it has since dulled.

Jess

9 minutes ago, siteseer said:

Hi Caldigger,

Have you noticed that few STH teeth end up being brown?  I have teeth in different colors and color combinations but maybe just a couple of teeth that are outright brown.

I have an Allosdesmus tooth that had some very bright color (red, yellow) but it has since dulled.

Jess

They mostly end up with oranges, and grey tones. Some retained a Dijon mustard color or dull brown.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

41 minutes ago, caldigger said:

They mostly end up with oranges, and grey tones. Some retained a Dijon mustard color or dull brown.

When I started collecting, and especially after I met Bob Ernst and started collecting with him on his property in the early-mid 90's, I didn't pay a lot of attention to the colors (I was focusing on species and jaw positions), but over the past 15-20 years, I started keeping examples of the different colors and color combinations and oddball splotches and patterns.  The red teeth get a lot of attention and rightly so because it is a rare color for a fossil in general and it's not common in the bonebed (most of the red ones come from closer to the river but I've seen a couple from the west quarry as well).  However, I like the ones that are more blue as you don't see a whole lot of those either.  Like you said, you get some oranges and a lot of grays with shades of other colors mixing in - hard to pin it down to a dominant color sometimes.

I'll have to check to see if I have a Dijon mustard tooth.

Jess @siteseer, check out the labial side on this lower I got yesterday. The lingual side is all grey.

It was caught up in a concretion and the root didn't fair too well unfortunately. But at 2 3/8" (62mm) I'm not complaining too much.

20180705_184300.jpg

20180705_190806.jpg

As you can see, the lingual side isn't nearly as interesting.

• I found this Informative 2

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

@SerratedTeeth I would say that the changing of the coloring is a win-win. It sure looks great! :dinothumb:

On The Hunt For The Trophy Otodus!

16 hours ago, caldigger said:

Jess @siteseer, check out the labial side on this lower I got yesterday. The lingual side is all grey.

It was caught up in a concretion and the root didn't fair too well unfortunately. But at 2 3/8" (62mm) I'm not complaining too much.

20180705_184300.jpg

20180705_190806.jpg

As you can see, the lingual side isn't nearly as interesting.

Wow, that is weird.  I've seen teeth with crowns that had some color but then were abruptly discolored by weathering but I don't think I've ever seen a color change so abrupt like that.

Yeah, a 2 3/8 inch tooth is a keeper anyway so I wouldn't sweat the root either especially when the crown has a color shift that dramatic.

Jess

@caldigger wow that’s strange! But definitley unique! I’m starting to like the way some of my finds have dried out and changed. I have one lower mako that changed to a really cold looking blue. Looks really sweet. I’ll post a pic of it when I get home from work.

2 hours ago, caldigger said:

"gun metal blue"

Exactly. I know it’s a little hard to tell in the pic but it’s the best I can do with my phone lol