Possible Fossil?

DocLiv

Hi All! I found this interesting piece of rock near my house in Alpine, Wyoming. I was at approximately 7000ft elevation in the Snake River Range when I found it.  I don't know what era the rock here is from. Fossil Butte National Monument is about 100 miles south of here with fossils from the Eocene if that helps. Thanks for looking, Steve.

IMG_3536.jpg

IMG_3537.jpg

IMG_3539.jpg

12 hours ago, DocLiv said:

Fossil Butte National Monument is about 100 miles south of here with fossils from the Eocene if that helps.

If I recall, it would only be useful to someone who can use color coded maps, because of the geology there. That lets me out.

If it was found in glacial material it seems likely that it could be that old.

Hard to say without having a firm idea of which rocks it originated from. I suspect a gastropod or maybe an ammonoid from the rocks that are exposed in the area.

Thanks for the replies everyone! I'm pretty excited that this indeed a fossil. Having never found one before despite having turned over many rocks in the hope of finding one makes me feel good. I may take it down to Fossil Butte and see if someone may have some insight into what it might be. It definitely could see it being a gastropod since it looks like it could be a shell. I'm attaching a couple more pictures. One from another angle and the other being the underside which might help identify what kind of rock it's in. Thanks for your help!

IMG_3540.jpg

IMG_3541.jpg

This appears to be a circle within a circle and not a spiral. Does that preclude this from being 

2 hours ago, Wayan Man said:

a gastropod or maybe an ammonoid

???

"Journey through a universe ablaze with changes" Phil Ochs

21 minutes ago, Innocentx said:

This appears to be a circle within a circle and not a spiral. Does that preclude this from being 

???

There are some very rough features that could be ammonite chambers angling as if to spiral. The center could be distorted from crushing, but 

the preservation doesn't really allow a definite ID in my opinion.

Oops, sorry. Maybe a fossil snail (gastropod) or an animal related to squid and chambered nautilus (ammonoid). It reminds me a bit of a cruddily-preserved ammonoid from what is called the "Meekoceras Zone" of the Thaynes Formation (Triassic, 250 million years old) that occurs in southeastern Idaho and western Wyoming

To me it looks like a concreation or mud ball that has collapsed.

Mike

Hi, could you post pics of that slice ?

5b33b470b45af_InkedIMG_3540.jpg.c9c9a981ebf4df49316b149aa0de60d41_LI.thumb.jpg.7b9d364359a0a9c9ca5e422f2c589650.jpg

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

Interesting.  It seems to be on the surface without indication of there being more of it below. I'm not sure what the white lines might have to do with it, if anything.

"Journey through a universe ablaze with changes" Phil Ochs

5 hours ago, Innocentx said:

I'm not sure what the white lines might have to do with it, if anything.

The back view suggest that they are a diagenetic feature of the matrix.

4 hours ago, Rockwood said:

The back view suggest that they are a diagenetic feature of the matrix.

I thought that they are mineral filled cracks.:headscratch:

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

1 hour ago, ynot said:

I thought that they are mineral filled cracks.:headscratch:

Isn't that what I said ? :shrug:

3 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

Isn't that what I said ? :shrug:

In layman's terms- dude.  I is to dumb to fathom those technical geological type iterations.:D:D:ninja::rofl:

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

1 minute ago, ynot said:

In layman's terms- dude.  I is to dumb to fathom those technical geological type iterations.:D:D:ninja::rofl:

Bull !

Archived