My only problem is the fact that I don't know where any eurypterid-producing sites are nearby. If only...

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

4 hours ago, MeargleSchmeargl said:

My only problem is the fact that I don't know where any eurypterid-producing sites are nearby. If only...

Probably not in Georgia. You might want to drive north for a while.

Is this a pay to dig site you went to Dr. Dave?

43 minutes ago, caldigger said:

Dave went to Lang's quarry.  When i was there you dig what you dig and pay for them at the end of the day.  thats how it worked for me.

RB

46 minutes ago, caldigger said:

Probably not in Georgia. You might want to drive north for a while.

Yup. Langs quarry in Ilion, NY.  

He charges for entry and for the day of digging, (one fee) and then charges again for the fossils you find. 

It can be a fairly expensive trip, from what I understand.  :( 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

9 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

Yup. Langs quarry in Ilion, NY.  

He charges for entry and for the day of digging, (one fee) and then charges again for the fossils you find. 

It can be a fairly expensive trip, from what I understand.  :( 

So the better the find, the more you are charged?

It almost sounds like a discouragement to find nicer items.

The whole time you're digging/splitting, you keep repeating the montra...

"Gosh I hope I don't find something good".

I wouldn't mind if the dig fee was reasonable, but to pay for the fossils you find, ... kind of leaves a sour taste in my mouth. 

If you don't pay for them, he sells them online.   :ank:

His land, his choice, I guess. I'd rather head to Canada, and try the quarry there. 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

50 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

I wouldn't mind if the dig fee was reasonable, but to pay for the fossils you find, ... kind of leaves a sour taste in my mouth. 

If you don't pay for them, he sells them online.   :ank:

His land, his choice, I guess. I'd rather head to Canada, and try the quarry there. 

Reminds me of the scene from National Lampoons Vacation when they get their station wagon repaired at the remote desert gas station:

Clark:  "How much do I owe you?"

Proprietor: "How much you got?"

Clark: "Haha... no seriously, how much is it?"

Proprietor: [brandishing a tire iron] "I said how much you got...?!"

:)

Very cool finds.   Years ago a friend who knew Lang took me there.  My friend showed me how to look for them on a large slab with what he called a "puddle".   He tapped around the periphery of the puddle and then whacked it with his hammer.  Out popped the most perfect eurypterid I've ever seen and I stood there in shock and amazement.  Later managed to find a pair side by side, so I was a very happy camper.

3 hours ago, crabfossilsteve said:

Very cool finds.   Years ago a friend who knew Lang took me there.  My friend showed me how to look for them on a large slab with what he called a "puddle".   He tapped around the periphery of the puddle and then whacked it with his hammer.  Out popped the most perfect eurypterid I've ever seen and I stood there in shock and amazement.  Later managed to find a pair side by side, so I was a very happy camper.

What he called puddles then he's calling "dishes" now. A discriptor for conchoidal fracture pattern through the dolostone that typically transects the central plane of the fossil at the base of the bowl-shaped fracture. The fractures occur during expansion phaseof the stone after adequate cycles of water absorption, freeze expansion and heat expansion. Lack of this type of weather exposure in most eurypterid bearing strata makes it extremely difficult to find the fossils. The dolostone needs to be pulled out of the ground and laid in a sunny place, then given years of exposure before the proper fractures occur. During this years-long process, the surface exposed to the sun typically bleaches/oxidizes and can obliterate any contrast between sun-exposed fossil material and the sun-exposed matrix. Again, this can increase the challenge, since you want to focus on the stones that have fossils, and without any surface contrast, your eye will pass right over a good prospect(let me know if this is unclear).

10 hours ago, MeargleSchmeargl said:

From paleodb.org, there are three north florida sites with eurypterid finds, 

20180627_132652.thumb.png.b9ebb1a13476c56f5f2e7940892073f1.png

false alarm. clicking on these, they all are from oil company bore-holes, so presumably not accessible.

3 hours ago, DrDave said:

From paleodb.org, there are three north florida sites with eurypterid finds, 

20180627_132652.thumb.png.b9ebb1a13476c56f5f2e7940892073f1.png

This has to be a mistake. As far as I've learned, the only pre-Cenozoic fossil found in Florida was a trilobite brought up in a core sample.

Just want to pipe in that these eurypterid finds are all magnificent. Congratulations and thanks for sharing them. 

Archived