Tooth with cut marks? or something else?

Life Finds A Way

Fossil Forum! Turning to your wisdom as always as we play another round of "Is it a tooth?"! Guessing we have a tooth here of some kind, but the enamel and shape are unusual. It measures the size of a quarter in diameter. Found in the cretaceous river beds of Monmouth NJ. Plus those cut marks are a fascinating bonus feature. What kind of fossil find is this? Could it be reptilian?

20180625_190043.jpg

I don't  believe its a tooth, no enamel present and its not oval but could be the root of one.  Lets see what some of the local collector's have to say.  Can you take a picture of the wide end.

I think it is a tooth but I’m not a local there either. Thinking croc or mosasaur.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Here’s some similar Mosasaur teeth I found on the internet, one is a TFF picture from @Jeffrey P

B19E5D2E-1D42-4E3F-BAE9-C2A80F68EC22.jpeg

A1A32DDE-B086-46B1-9D8C-329D7913D151.jpeg

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

I am unsure that there is enough there to say it is a tooth.

I would like to see a straight on shot of the wide end. That may help clarify the situation.

The scratches look more recent to Me. 

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

I'm seeing a battered Enchodus tooth. Is the cross-section loosely "D-shaped" or similarly assymetrical? Can you post a photo?

not sure where the tooth part technically ends on an enchodus fang. Most of the typical tooth is missing and this is the base. Upper left pic shows the base of an enchodus fang to me.

It is a partial Enchodus fang with a small portion of the dermopalatine attached. It broke off of the rest of the Enchodus jaw post fossilization. The tooth part typically blends in with the jaw part when the jaw fossilizes with the partial tooth attached.

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

• 2 weeks later...