Shark Tooth Help

IKatelin

I searched the web with my dad trying to find the right name for this tooth.

We think it is a Otodus obliquus, but it kind of looks like a Carcharocles auriculatus.

I'm trying to make sure all my pictures on my website have the right names at IKatelin.com.

Thank you,

Katie

sharks_tooth.jpg

IMHO, you have it IDed correctly.

Where did it come from?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I searched the web with my dad trying to find the right name for this tooth.

We think it is a Otodus obliquus, but it kind of looks like a Carcharocles auriculatus.

I'm trying to make sure all my pictures on my website have the right names at IKatelin.com.

Thank you,

Katie

sharks_tooth.jpg

It looks like you have it correct - just like an auriculatus tooth w/o the serrations. Actually Otodus is a precursor to auriculatus (at least the opinion of most paleoichthyologists)

These Otodus teeth are EXTREMELY common in the phosphate mines of North Africa (esp. Morocco) but uncommon finds anywhere else.

Thank you everybody for your help.

I got this at the rock shop which is my favorite store.

Katie

(She likes to shop at EarthWindFireIce which is in a local antique mall to us... they have stuff for beginners, us, and advanced collectors.)

Their website is www.earthwindfireice.com

Thanks again,

Katie's Dad

You have a very nice collection Katie, I am going to book mark it so I can check back from time to time to see what you have added. Thank you and welcome to the hobby.

Galveston Island 32 miles long 2 miles wide 134 bars 23 liquor stores any questions?

Evolution is Chimp Change.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain!

"I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen." Ernest Hemingway

Cool site. How much for that turtle shell?? I have been in the market for one of those for a long time. I cant read that card.

Cool site. How much for that turtle shell?? I have been in the market for one of those for a long time. I cant read that card.

You'd have to contact them direct, we just shop there.

stran4@verizon.net or 484-995-5667 and ask for Glenda. their web is www.earthwinfireice.com

Katie's website is at ikatelin.com

When I think of Otodus, I visualize the U shaped root. You could be right depending on the formation that you found the tooth in. But with the root being kind of compressed and straight at the base, it looks like Cretalamna maroccana (Cretaceous) to me, or maybe C. appendiculata? Either way, it's a cool looking unique tooth and a nice piece for any collection!

Here's a pic from Elasmo.com:

Click Here to See Cretalamna maroccana

Kevin Wilson

When I think of Otodus, I visualize the U shaped root. You could be right depending on the formation that you found the tooth in. But with the root being kind of compressed and straight at the base, it looks like Cretalamna maroccana (Cretaceous) to me, or maybe C. appendiculata? Either way, it's a cool looking unique tooth and a nice piece for any collection!

Here's a pic from Elasmo.com:

Click Here to See Cretalamna maroccana

We used this site for our ID.

The tooth does have a curve, but because of the angle of the picture, it doesn't show in the pict. It isn't quite as curved, but it is curved.

http://www.elasmo-research.org/education/e...ion/guide_f.htm

Did you find the tooth or was it a purchase? That will help alot in the ID.

It was purchased and I got it as a present.