Show us your chigger bites. Just kidding but....

Innocentx

2 hours ago, Monica said:

I felt a burning sensation on my inner left elbow and looked down to see that area turn a splotchy red, and by the evening it was intensely itchy (A LOT itchier than regular mosquito bites) and there were two large red bumps there.  The few mosquito bites I got that day were barely noticeable compared to these bumps in my elbow, and these bigger/itchier bumps bugged me for about a week!  The itchiness is now gone, and they are no longer bumps, but I still have two dark circles that are visible. 

Monica, I don't know if those are chigger bites or not.  The fact that you got only 2 bites and they were up on your elbow makes me wonder.  Could have been a spider bite.  And if the dark circles are not gone by now, I think I would have it checked out.  At the very least, go to google images and search chigger bites.  See if that is what bit you.  

Walt

Everything is generated through your own will power ~ Ray Bradbury

@Monica. I know you guys have the tiny black flies up there.

"Journey through a universe ablaze with changes" Phil Ochs

4 minutes ago, Innocentx said:

@Monica. I know you guys have the tiny black flies up there.

Up a bit more north, and it is the deer flies. They laugh at repellent and won't stop until they have taken their little bit of flesh! Biting flies are not so much an issue in the GTA. 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

23 hours ago, caldigger said:

I was watching a documentary a while back. The subjects were exploring parts of Borneo and were talking about how you had to tape up all loose exposures to your skin because the air is so warm and moist the the leeches are on land and will get you as you are walking along trails just like chiggers, ticks, and all the rest of the yucky critters we encounter on hikes.

Really makes me want to vacation in Borneo.

I'll be dropping that destination from my bucket list!

Hey Doren!

I've been to Borneo and your story is true - my friend and I had to check each other thoroughly after a nighttime hike through a forest - very creepy...

But that wasn't the first time I encountered leeches on land...

During my field course in Queensland, Australia we went for a daytime walk around the perimeter of a lake.  Even though there was a path to follow, when we checked each other for leeches after the hike, we actually had to pluck MANY from one another!!!  They were quite small and I remember pulling some that had gotten half of their bodies into my running shoes (they were squeezing between the shoe's tongue and the laces) - I still shudder at the memory...

Monica

23 hours ago, Walt said:

Monica, I don't know if those are chigger bites or not.  The fact that you got only 2 bites and they were up on your elbow makes me wonder.  Could have been a spider bite.  And if the dark circles are not gone by now, I think I would have it checked out.  At the very least, go to google images and search chigger bites.  See if that is what bit you.  

Walt

Hi Walt!

I'm not sure what bit me, but perhaps it was indeed a spider, especially because there was a burning sensation at first (without any visible biter attached to me) followed by intense itchiness.  The dark circles are no longer itchy or elevated, and they're fading, so I don't think it's anything to worry about, but I will definitely be a bit more careful when I go out hunting near vegetation from now on!

Monica

Hi Walt!

I'm not sure what bit me, but perhaps it was indeed a spider, especially because there was a burning sensation at first (without any visible biter attached to me) followed by intense itchiness.  The dark circles are no longer itchy or elevated, and they're fading, so I don't think it's anything to worry about, but I will definitely be a bit more careful when I go out hunting near vegetation from now on!

Monica

I've had a similar reaction from brushing up against a brightly colored caterpiller on a shrub.  Burning, nettle-like pain followed by itching and "bump".  It looked something like this, but not the same

Screenshot_20180630-102948_Chrome.jpg.5542e82e45380b73162e81762450653f.jpg

They have sweaters for caterpillars now? :hearty-laugh:

Hi Walt!

Monica

Glad it is nothing. So many diseases from bites now. Never heard of it as a kid...wonder what changed?  (Of course, standing in the field like an idiot staring up at the crop dusters while they sprayed may have offered some incidental protection) :doh!:

22 minutes ago, Peat Burns said:

I've had a similar reaction from brushing up against a brightly colored caterpiller on a shrub.  Burning, nettle-like pain followed by itching and "bump".  It looked something like this, but not the same

We have these, Southern flannel moth caterpillars. Apparently their sting feels like breaking a bone. 

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Chiggers are the spawn of the devil. All you have to do is brush against vegetation, and you end up with welts anywhere where clothes are tight, i.e. socks and waistband.

Context is critical.

16 hours ago, Missourian said:

Chiggers are the spawn of the devil.

Yes they are!

chiggers do not remain on the body, after they feed, they drop off. The itching is caused by a solution they inject into the bite to get the blood running freely

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

I think with these colors, it is dangerous !

On 30/06/2018 at 4:31 PM, Peat Burns said:

On 30/06/2018 at 4:38 PM, Walt said:

:rofl:

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Darn Chiggers.... I hope they all die when winter comes. Chiggers are such pests!! They're better than ticks though. No Lyme Disease from chiggers

On The Hunt For The Trophy Otodus!

On 6/30/2018 at 9:38 AM, Walt said:

Looks like a road-worker vest.

Context is critical.

Chigger is an arachnid.

chigger-2.jpg

5 hours ago, FossilsAnonymous said:

Darn Chiggers.... I hope they all die when winter comes. Chiggers are such pests!! They're better than ticks though. No Lyme Disease from chiggers

You trying to take Cooper, TX off the map?

5b3bb8c1c9f5b_chiggerlogo.jpg.df996a7301166dc307b824a261bab4bc.jpg

49 minutes ago, Walt said:

If your itchin' for a much better time visit the now world famous nearby North Sulphur River for fossils.

A semi rhetorical question: how did "itching" come to mean looking? Who looks for itching?

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Dang it....I was hoping to get to the NSR as soon as the heat let up.  (I know, no sympathy on the heat from Scottsdale)

Didn't even think about the chiggers.  Back to the DEET baths before outings :)

3 minutes ago, Walt said:

Dang it....I was hoping to get to the NSR as soon as the heat let up.  (I know, no sympathy on the heat from Scottsdale)

Didn't even think about the chiggers.  Back to the DEET baths before outings :)

Come to Arizona Walt. At least here we can drive an hour to get somewhere cool (other than the mall) unlike Texas and Louisiana where you can drive all day and still not get to a much cooler spot. Plus no chiggers.  

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

58 minutes ago, Walt said:

I'm not sure if that specimen has enough appendages to be a chigger.  Maybe larvae have fewer legs. L:)et's see what others say...

20 minutes ago, Walt said:

should be 8...

Juveniles, the biting ones, do indeed only have 6 legs: https://www.emedicinehealth.com/image-gallery/chiggers_picture/images.htm

IMG_0457.JPG

Well now this silly subject is getting interesting.... I look forward to reading more about that and finding out why.

Well, the short answer is they don't need the 4th set of legs until they become adults.  Even spiders, which are recognized as having 8 legs, do not use the 4th set as legs but as specialized appendages for feeding, etc.  

But I can now bring this thread full circle!  Innocentx originally wrote, "I have bites from head to toe. Is anyone else experiencing this?"   Yes, Innocentx, I just saw an article that said this was the worst year for chiggers in over 3 decades.  At least in North Texas.  So you are not alone!  I'm sure those of us to their east will get our turn soon enough. :)

Archived