Dispenser Bottle for Consolidants

DPS Ammonite

I found a great dispenser bottle for Butvar 76  dissolved in acetone from Nalgene:  60 ml/2oz LDPE drop dispenser bottle. I have used it for more than 5 years (stored inside) and have had not problems with evaporation, leakage or being unable to unscrew the bottle or open the top due to Butvar films. I do keep the bottle upright in a larger plastic container to catch any mishaps. I bought mine at REI in the camping section.

I suppose that this bottle also would work with other consolidants/solvent combinations including those using ethyl alcohol. See chart for plastic containers and chemical/solvent compatibilities: http://www.shepherd.edu/wordpress-1/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/chemical_compatibility_for_nalgene_containers.pdf

Note that LDPE containers are not recommended for storing acetone at higher temperatures: 50 deg C. I have had no problems storing acetone (and dilute HCl) at room temperatures at less than 90 deg F.

IMG_0450.JPG

For a great source of small quantities of consolidants to use in this bottle see my post: 

• I found this Informative 7

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

I have been using these lately and they work pretty well up to a certain viscosity I assume anyway.214MSzThxKL.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

On 26/06/2018 at 10:11 PM, -AnThOnY- said:

I have been using these lately and they work pretty well up to a certain viscosity I assume anyway.214MSzThxKL.jpg

Do remember wash bottles sorta act like thermometers particularly with volatile chemicals. Warmth will push acetone or ethanol up the spout. Ask me how I know.... ;) 

i use a syringe and needle and don’t have any issues with 25% Paraloid in acetone reacting with the plastic :) 

49 minutes ago, JohnBrewer said:

Do remember wash bottles sorta act like thermometers particularly with volatile chemicals. Warmth will push acetone or ethanol up the spout. Ask me how I know.... ;) 

i use a syringe and needle and don’t have any issues with 25% Paraloid in acetone reacting with the plastic :) 

They certainly do, so make sure not leave on a windowsill or in the heat :) 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/26/2018 at 2:11 PM, -AnThOnY- said:

The only problem with those is that they can develop horizontal cracks which of course causes leaks.  

I prefer to apply my consolidant using a very fine painter's brush like this one.

image.png.b701c3e26a5eecb8d159abd741238eb8.png

It is much slower but provides exquisite control of where the consolidant goes. Of course, if you need to consolidate a large area or bone, this doesn't work. I use a syringe for this.

• I found this Informative 1

17 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

It is much slower but provides exquisite control of where the consolidant goes

I do the same.

RB