Fossil hunting around Nashville, TN

JenJones

Hi! My 8 y/o son and I are visiting Nashville, TN to look for fossils. We found lots of brachyopods today. Where should we look for Trilobites and Gastropods? I’ve read some posts, but it’s hard to pinpoint specific areas. Any tips?

try contacting Ameenah Henderson 

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Brachiopods and bryozoa are by far the most common fossils around Nashville. Trilobites are quite rare. If you travel a little outside of Nashville, there are places you can find a few trilo-bits, along with gastropods. PM sent.

• I found this Informative 1

"Don't force it, just use a bigger hammer"

I grew up in middle Tennessee. The massive limestone Silurian strata contain an abundance of early marine fossils. Trilobites are not very common though my brother and I found three or four during years of collecting. Like most collectors we dreamed of that big trilobite find but only made one find of any note.

There are exposures of Ordovician material all over Nashville. The coolest one in my opinion is a cliff that is sitting right next to a Target. Brachiopods are going to be 99% of what you find there.

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

• 4 weeks later...

Brachiopods! 

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What more do you want? :wub:

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png