momof3

Summer Fossil hunting - Virginia

momof3

My family is going to be in Virginia for the month of August.  We will be around Newport News, Urbanna and the Massanutten area.

My son is a fossil nut - he aims to be a Paleontologist when he grows up.  When I was researching Virginia and things to do, I learned about the rich fossil history there, and the wonderful opportunities there are to collect fossils.  I would really like for my kids to have a productive time searching for fossils, so I thought I would post a note on here to see if anyone knows of an affordable fossil hunting expedition that our family could go on?  My kids were so excited when they heard they could go fossil hunting, they automatically started watching youtube videos of people fossil finds in the area.  I am attempting to lower their expectations by explaining that many of those people have permission to hunt on private property, thats why they are able to find such good hauls (and that they are quite experienced :) )

If there aren't any suggestions for fossil hunting guides, which of the state parks would you recommend that I take them to with the highest chance of finding a couple fossils?  I understand nothing is guaranteed.  I also know that the summer will be overcrowded with people searching, but it is what it is.  

I appreciate any help and guidance that can be offered.   

WhodamanHD

Welcome to the forum from Maryland!

I don’t venture to Virginia to fossil hunt much (I’m quite happy with Maryland) so I cannot say definitively, but I’ve heard good things about Westmoreland park. I’m sure a local will be along to comment soon. You might also do a search of the the forum for the ‘Virginia,’ or look at the subforum for it. Good Luck!

Gizmo

Urbanna Creek has some small bluffs on the south bank that produce Miocene age fossils including shells and shark teeth. Rent a boat at the marina, go up the creek past the 227 bridge 1/4 to 1/2 mile and look for clay banks on your left. York River State Park has more fossil shells than you can pick up and very rarely a shark tooth. They have a nice fossil display at the visitor center.Screen Shot 2018-06-27 at 2.03.33 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-06-27 at 2.04.09 AM.png

WhodamanHD
5 hours ago, Gizmo said:

I can vouch for that, many trilobites. The shale is very crumbly though, so the fossils are very delicate.

momof3

Thanks to you all for your advice, it is much appreciated.  I was looking at buying Jasper Burns' book.  Do you think its worth the price tag?  Ive heard that some of the places he recommends are no longer available for fossil hunting.

Gizmo
19 hours ago, momof3 said:

Thanks to you all for your advice, it is much appreciated.  I was looking at buying Jasper Burns' book.  Do you think its worth the price tag?  Ive heard that some of the places he recommends are no longer available for fossil hunting.

Many references to his book here-

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/search/&q=Jasper Burns&item=85826&sortby=newest

FossilsAnonymous

I'm a local... Consider heading for forays briefly into Maryland. The trips are worth it for a paleontology 'nut'.  Va is pretty limited but consider looking for invertebrate fossils in the James and York river.

WhodamanHD
2 minutes ago, FossilsAnonymous said:

Va is pretty limited but consider looking for invertebrate fossils in the James and York river.

Or so it seems from the outside. I’ve seen many great finds from VA from lots of locations. Many are a bit difficult to access though.

FossilsAnonymous
4 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

Many are a bit difficult to access though

That is what I meant by 'limited'. Sorry about my obscure phrasing :P