How can I find fossils?

TeaRex

Hi I’m really new at this. I know a good amount about current biology but little on that which is extinct. Basically I want to learn more and this summer I want to look for fossils by the lake (Connecticut) but I don’t know what I should be looking for? I know it’ll prob be sedimentary rock, but other than how do I know what’s a good rock?

(also feel free to leave me any cool facts)  

Welcome to the world of fossils and to the forum from Austria.

I know nothing about your area, but there are many knowledgeable people here.
Franz Bernhard

Welcome TeaRex! Unfortunately, although there are many fossil sites in Connecticut, most of them are private or state property. Also, I have heard that most fossils in that state are usually found in rock layers rather than bones, teeth, and shells on beaches and streams. However, I have heard of nice unprotected/owned sites with fossils.

One good site I have heard from another hunter would be Totoket mountain, where some streams hold shale that have fish fossils. Shale like this is usually like large and thin plates, and to get the fossils inside, you have to split them in half alongside the layer lines, so a hammer and chisel would be good.

Otherwise, here is a list of known fossils found in certain sites in Connecticut, although this was last updated in 2008 and property ownerships can greatly change in a decade.

http://fossilspot.com/STATES/CT.HTM

Here is a geological map of Connecticut. If you would like to try finding fossils in uncharted territory, try looking at both Google Maps and geological maps like this to find potentially free outcrops. Based on this map, you'll only find fossils in the central section of the state, as that is there all the sedimentary rocks are at.

Connecticut-Geologic-Map.jpg

Good luck on the fossils!

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

Hello TeaRex, and Welcome to the Forum from another Connecticutian. :) 

Unfortunately, there are very few places in Connecticut where you can find fossils legally.   :(  

It is very difficult to find an area that is productive, and gain permission to access it.

Please look at the Connecticut Location sub-forum, and read through the threads posted there.

You might consider joining a local fossil/mineral/rockhounding club, to get information and learn about what is available in our area.

The good news is that there are areas nearby, in New York State, that are very fossiliferous, and great day trips can be made to collect some rather cool stuff. 

I suggest reading through the threads on Deep Springs Road, Nowadaga Creek, and other New York Sites, to get an idea of where to go.

If you would like specific information on those sites, please send me a PM. :) 

Welcome, again.

Regards.

5 hours ago, Macrophyseter said:

I have heard of nice unprotected/owned sites with fossils.

One good site I have heard from another hunter would be Totoket mountain, where some streams hold shale that have fish fossils. Shale like this is usually like large and thin plates, and to get the fossils inside, you have to split them in half alongside the layer lines, so a hammer and chisel would be good.

Otherwise, here is a list of known fossils found in certain sites in Connecticut, although this was last updated in 2008 and property ownerships can greatly change in a decade.

http://fossilspot.com/STATES/CT.HTM

"I have heard of nice unprotected/owned sites with fossils."  Who told you this?  :headscratch: All of the sites I've hunted in Connecticut are on private land, and require permission of the land owner to hunt.

Please be careful of putting information out on the web without knowing all of the facts.  :( 

This post in the thread you linked to in your post explains why Totoket Mountain is off limits. 

Also, the information from the Fossilspot website is very old, and most if not all of it is no longer accurate. 

And while the website itself may have been updated in 2008, (formatting, spelling, etc)  the information contained on it is much older, and hasn't changed. 

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

Archived