BuddingPaleo

I picked this bit of oyster shell up because it has pretty barnacles on it. I started cleaning mud out and a chunk fell off revealing this. I thought maybe a gastropod cast that's settled in, but it looks attached? It's also not evenly spiraled. It doesn't show in the pictures, but the fatter section has an undulation to it. Worm cast? Anyone know what it is? (Sw Florida)

20180627_091922.jpg

20180627_092113.jpg

I wouldn’t rule out serpulid, but it looks like a loosely could Gastropod. Could have also had thick walls. Though I’m not an expert on gastropods or serpulids so you should wait for a better opinion.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

am thinking that carrier shells (xenophora) look like this so you could be looking at the bottom of the steinkern of one of them. It's roughly 3/4 s of an inch widest I think. MikeR can probably give you an ID.

• I found this Informative 1

4 minutes ago, Plax said:

MikeR

@MikeR

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

All conceivable options. Lol I think I'm leaning towards still not having a clue, but enjoying the reading! Think I identified a bristle worm on another fossil because of it. Thanks for the info guys! :)

Firstly i thought it could be serpulid, but according to the size, i agree with the idea it could be a cast of gastropod, and a nice one.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

Got it cleaned up a little more. Maybe it'll be easier to tell? I think gastropod, but it does have a seam that runs along the side, which I saw in worms. 

20180627_114341.jpg

20180627_114220.jpg

20180627_114253.jpg

I found something similar and the guys called it a gastropod/snail. Mine was exposed more than yours so it's hard to tell. I'm leaning more towards a worm shell too. Where in SW Florida?

DSC07359.JPG

16 minutes ago, Bronzviking said:

I found something similar and the guys called it a gastropod/snail. Mine was exposed more than yours so it's hard to tell. I'm leaning more towards a worm shell too. Where in SW Florida?

DSC07359.JPG

Fort myers-ish.