Is it worth it?

Masp

I created this topic for anyone who wants an opinion from others on a potential purchase.

Not regarding if the price right, because that’s  totally up to you...I’m more concerned about quality, rarity, etc. 

Post here if you’re on the fence about anything. 

To kick it off, I’m gonna share what I came across....I’m not sure on the availability on such things like dino eggs meaning, “do I wait or purchase?” I know there are fakes, and I know the quality comes in all ranges...the detail in this particular shell is interesting.... question is, would you hold off and wait for something better, or would you purchase this bit of shell? Not crazy expensive anyway. 

A magnified Titanosaur argentinosaurus eggshell x4.  I sent the seller more specific questions. 

43FE96D3-0F94-4221-A157-82349EEB3757.jpeg

C6A900F1-4DB3-4A89-B580-1DCCC3569DAD.jpeg

In my experience eggshell pieces from Argentina are relatively common, assuming of course they are actually from Argentina.

I made a thread about very similar eggshells, with a lot of given info.

Maybe @Troodon or somebody else can pin it/ show it in their post (don’t know how to do that)

regards

Without a very specific locality, especially with Argentina, it's impossible to know what type of Sauropod species are present that could be associated with those eggshells.  In addition eggshells are not identified to species but classified to a oogenera/ootaxon based on the structure of the eggshell.

4 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Without a very specific locality, especially with Argentina, it's impossible to know what type of Sauropod species are present that could be associated with those eggshells.  In addition eggshells are not identified to species but classified to a oogenera/ootaxon based on the structure of the eggshell.

Yeah Idk...again I’ll pass...I think the only reason why I wanted it is because of the whole idea of having something from a place like Argentina where it’s hard to get anything...I’m on a fossil mission everyone:ighappy:

1 minute ago, Masp said:

Yeah Idk...again I’ll pass...I think the only reason why I wanted it is because of the whole idea of having something from a place like Argentina where it’s hard to get anything...I’m on a fossil mission everyone:ighappy:

No reason not to buy them they are cool just they cannot be identified to a species. 

@Troodon I requested for the seller to provide me with the locality..he contacted his supplier and says its titanosaur from Trets France

40 minutes ago, Masp said:

@Troodon I requested for the seller to provide me with the locality..he contacted his supplier and says its titanosaur from Trets France

Unaware of that locality but Titanosaurids are in southern France.  At least you have a locality.

@CBchiefski  anything you can add to these eggshells 

It's real. Looks like one of the common Megaloolithus sp.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

On 6/27/2018 at 10:21 AM, Masp said:

I created this topic for anyone who wants an opinion from others on a potential purchase.

Not regarding if the price right, because that’s  totally up to you...I’m more concerned about quality, rarity, etc. 

Post here if you’re on the fence about anything. 

To kick it off, I’m gonna share what I came across....I’m not sure on the availability on such things like dino eggs meaning, “do I wait or purchase?” I know there are fakes, and I know the quality comes in all ranges...the detail in this particular shell is interesting.... question is, would you hold off and wait for something better, or would you purchase this bit of shell? Not crazy expensive anyway. 

A magnified Titanosaur argentinosaurus eggshell x4.  I sent the seller more specific questions. 

21 hours ago, Troodon said:

Unaware of that locality but Titanosaurids are in southern France.  At least you have a locality.

@CBchiefski  anything you can add to these eggshells 

21 hours ago, -Andy- said:

It's real. Looks like one of the common Megaloolithus sp.

Hard to say based solely on the pictures, however the fragments look real. If from southern France then given the little bit of texture I can see they are very likely Megaloolithus, which is often labeled as Titanosaurid but this is not supported scientifically. For professionalism sake, I must refrain from any comments on prices or commercial value, and will only say eggshell fragments of Megaloolithus are relatively common within localities where they are present.

9 hours ago, CBchiefski said:

Hard to say based solely on the pictures, however the fragments look real. If from southern France then given the little bit of texture I can see they are very likely Megaloolithus, which is often labeled as Titanosaurid but this is not supported scientifically. For professionalism sake, I must refrain from any comments on prices or commercial value, and will only say eggshell fragments of Megaloolithus are relatively common within localities where they are present.

The price was really affordable so I just decided to bought it for curiosity sake.   I’m going to post pictures when I receive it..would love your two cents 

:dinothumb:

43 minutes ago, Masp said:

The price was really affordable so I just decided to bought it for curiosity sake.   I’m going to post pictures when I receive it..would love your two cents 

:dinothumb:

You're selling them for two cents?! 

OK, I'll take a half of one. :ighappy:

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

3 hours ago, caldigger said:

You're selling them for two cents?! 

OK, I'll take a half of one. :ighappy:

:hearty-laugh:

@CBchiefski  here are some more pictures finally came in the mail.  The only information I know about is what was provided that I had mentioned to you in this thread.  In that case,  would you label this as: Megaloolithus eggshell fragment from France?

F147533B-7EE0-4DF1-9404-196E49644519.jpeg

61697B29-B274-4CFD-8094-8B22DC4A8944.jpeg

8039C44B-BD18-40C3-B1B0-2DC80AE33530.jpeg

97F1A24F-D42A-4A0A-9152-A7D8F7F8C8FD.jpeg

A complete sauropod egg from South America can cost over $10,000 (and are illegal to own) where shell fragments are a few dollars.... Waiting for something better can exponentially increase the price on these, all depends on your budget! 

On 7/5/2018 at 3:49 PM, Masp said:

@CBchiefski  here are some more pictures finally came in the mail.  The only information I know about is what was provided that I had mentioned to you in this thread.  In that case,  would you label this as: Megaloolithus eggshell fragment from France?

F147533B-7EE0-4DF1-9404-196E49644519.jpeg

61697B29-B274-4CFD-8094-8B22DC4A8944.jpeg

8039C44B-BD18-40C3-B1B0-2DC80AE33530.jpeg

97F1A24F-D42A-4A0A-9152-A7D8F7F8C8FD.jpeg

Any chance you would be able to clean and prep the fragment a little bit more?
It seems to be Megaloolithus, however without a clear surface it is hard to say with any confidence. If the thickness is greater then 1.5mm you do likely have shell from the Megaloolithidae family, any chance you could measure the shell thickness? 

On 7/6/2018 at 9:02 PM, CBchiefski said:

Any chance you would be able to clean and prep the fragment a little bit more?
It seems to be Megaloolithus, however without a clear surface it is hard to say with any confidence. If the thickness is greater then 1.5mm you do likely have shell from the Megaloolithidae family, any chance you could measure the shell thickness? 

Here are some better pictures. Do these help? The first two pics are front and back. 

EB1AEAF7-C515-4BC3-A84B-13F2FADBE4B0.jpeg

354DFF0E-9DDA-4B6B-AB82-014747857242.jpeg

It would have been better if you took photos with the shell on a flat surface with neutral background. Unfortunately, the camera is focusing on your fingers and not on the shell which is a bit blurry. :(

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

34 minutes ago, caldigger said:

It would have been better if you took photos with the shell on a flat surface with neutral background. Unfortunately, the camera is focusing on your fingers and not on the shell which is a bit blurry. :(

Thanks for pointing that I out, I see what you’re saying. I’m going to try and take better pictures tomorrow. Much appreciated! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/10/2018 at 10:09 PM, Masp said:

Thanks for pointing that I out, I see what you’re saying. I’m going to try and take better pictures tomorrow. Much appreciated! 

Any luck with better pictures?
Based on the thickness and the cross structure, it is very likely within the Megaloolithidae family, could be Megaloolithus siruguei but am not confident with that given the pictures are not focused on the eggshell.

22 hours ago, CBchiefski said:

Any luck with better pictures?
Based on the thickness and the cross structure, it is very likely within the Megaloolithidae family, could be Megaloolithus siruguei but am not confident with that given the pictures are not focused on the eggshell.

Sorry for the delay and thanks for reaching out to help I’m gonna get better pics posted asap here. 

Archived