Argentina's "The Dino Project"

Troodon

The Dino Project is a scientific, educational and cultural unit of the National University of Comahue and aims to rescue from the rock all the dinosaurs and other animal and plant remains that inhabited the Barreales Lake area 90 million years ago. This is the only Earth Ecosystem of the Upper Cretaceous of South America and it is considered a hole in Geological time to see the past. The field work involves the extraction, preparation, study and exhibition of the fossils found in the same site. On the other hand, it is an objective of the project to disseminate this activity at all levels of society and education in order to learn to value our heritage and the effort involved in carrying it forward.  For more info their website   http://www.proyectodino.com/

north coast of Lake Barreales, in the province of Neuquén

01-187x300.jpg.0dae94cc90b3d7722491835556edb986.jpg

02apaisado.png.70f00c4cb1cc8a9aaff3a87876e73e8c.png

Findings  include

Some Photos provided by Jorge Orlando Calvo

Complete manus of Megaraptor namunhuaiquii

Teropodo_2.jpg.ba47154e8d6f6aeb8ff0597b2ade08f4.jpg5b33c04f8876c_DPdzPBXXcAAOkCY(1).thumb.jpeg.ecd1ceaab956277e467210946dc9bfc2.jpeg

Several Sauropods have been found including the Titanosaur Futalognkosaurus dukei

DX9iK71X4AApuDZ.thumb.jpeg.08e336b53fd98c8dc5d4256e77d3e632.jpeg

Dgv1md7XkAAdWGb.jpeg.60c4a2afe4efb755f4262ecdce9340f6.jpeg

Vertebrae 

DQK1PANXkAAcPyh.thumb.jpeg.2a2c969c21ceaf9cba7e8942dd98df67.jpeg

Now this is a vertebra

C4o3P9KWIAAL-tx.thumb.jpeg.bd8faa2beb7fbc2cfdeab64e3a0a08d9.jpeg

Another of the theropod dinosaurs represented by a pubis, ileum (bones of the hip), humerus, claw and a dorsal vertebra is Unenlagia paynemili . This carnivore is very important in the evolution of dinosaurs and birds since it represents a true link between both groups.

Teropodo_3.gif.fcdb38aa46c7899c852703a91d53c519.gif

The holotype of Macrogryphosaurus gondwanicus. One of The biggest ornithopod in South America.

20180627_100230.jpg.0b80be4441f811411af90dfd4f47ae9b.jpg

In addition, more than 300 teeth have been found with different types of "saws" from at least 5 different species of theropods

Teropodo_1.jpg.26817f28dcf6233dd2f8033fc1d5c0ab.jpg

• I found this Informative 6

Other than dinosaurs Argentinodraco barrealensis, a New pterosaur from Argentina

DMTYvC9X0AA7Pqp.jpeg.ccda4f9738623517b015d3d9a7ea4a61.jpegPterosaurio.jpg.b022cc6dee5e7c005c49700b49d61959.jpg

Students studying the holotype of the Abelisaurid  Ekrixinatosaurus novasi and the holotype of the small Alvarezsaurid, Alvarezsaurus calvoi

DX9jU20X0AAnxi5.thumb.jpeg.a2bec0bbd5fda583a230e3bffa3f6524.jpeg

• I found this Informative 6

This is very cool :) Thanks for sharing! Best of luck to all those contributing to the project!

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

8 minutes ago, The Amateur Paleontologist said:

This is very cool :) Thanks for sharing! Best of luck to all those contributing to the project!

Yes I thought do why I posted it.

@Seguidora-de-Isis 

Do you or others in your country know of this project?

• I found this Informative 1

Thank you for sharing my friend Troodon. Yes, we know, daily television and newspapers report. And this is surprising, even more so that the Province of Neuquén also represents one of the world's richest dinosaur egg formations!

huevos.jpg

huevos-de-dinosaurio-1080x675-1080x515.j

mehincharonloshuevos-770x420.jpg

But if one of these eggs or bones is part of a private collection here... That's a lot of jail years.

• I found this Informative 5

Is It real, or it's not real, that's the question!

03.PNG

2 hours ago, Seguidora-de-Isis said:

Yes, we know, daily television and newspapers report. And this is surprising, even more so that the Province of Neuquén also represents one of the world's richest dinosaur egg formation

But if one of these eggs or bones is part of a private collection here... That's a lot of jail years.

Its very good that they publicize what they do and report on what they find.   The project has a good purpose because if it did not exist that area would be a gold mine for commercial collectors. 

13 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Its very good that they publicize what they do and report on what they find.   The project has a good purpose because if it did not exist that area would be a gold mine for commercial collectors. 

Yes, I also agree perfectly with the protection, but the problem is when the protection is exaggerated. An example of this is that here in Argentina it is much, much worse than in Brazil, because here in Argentina it is completely forbidden to even collect international fossils, and those who collect international fossils can also go to prison for many years! :(

In the same way that I made a post talking only about Brazil's problems, I promise that when I have time, I will post just to talk about the problems here in Argentina.

In all of South America the climate is one of fear, terror and insecurity!

Is It real, or it's not real, that's the question!

03.PNG