The Amateur Paleontologist

New Tylosaurus

I thought the mosasaur fans here might enjoy a fairly recent bit of mosa-research… This paper describes the very well preserved skull and associated postcrania (a few vertebrae, some pectoral and pelvic girdle elements, a partial forelimb and a hindlimb) of a new tylosaurine mosasaur species, Tylosaurus saskatchewanensis. The holotype material of this tylosaur is from the Upper Campanian (Late Cretaceous) Bearpaw Formation of Saskatchewan, Canada. 

The paper: Jiménez-Huidobro et al. 2018 new Tylosaurus species.pdf

A sneak peak at some of the material described (articulated dorsal vertebrae) - scale bar is 10cm:

5b33dad8460f7_ScreenShot2018-06-27at20_42_09.png.b359dec3e9ac07e609e7d1cdb645ce5d.png

Hope you guys like it :) 

W. Harvey

I wonder if the 'Talkeetna Mountains Hadrosaur' could have been scavenged by a member of this species.

Edit: Or maybe not, as I thought the two formations (Matanuska and Bearpaw) were closer than they are.

Edited by W. Harvey

@W. Harvey The thing is, there isn't any record of any large marine tetrapod in the Matanuska Fm. But who knows? Maybe there was a "hadrosaur-eating Matanuska tylosaurine" - we just need to find it! ;)

If you want the paper describing the Talkeetna Mtn. hadrosaur, here it is :) 

Edit: it would have probably been a primitive tylosaurine, given that they were just beginning to evolve and diversify during the Turonian. 

Edited by The Amateur Paleontologist