My Scardy Cat Crab !!!

RJB

Took me awhile to get back out in the garage and do some prepping. im guessing about another 7 hours or so? it really looks like there is no left claw! and only 3 legs on the left side! Double dang!!! This may be my most labor intensive B-Grade crab to date. I will finish it,,,, and hope that i do run into a left arm and another left leg, but its not lookin good. Ive still got many many hours of 3-d'ing before I can smooth out the rock but thats when i will 'bump' into that left claw and left leg?   Here is a picture of today's work. Tumidocarcinus gigantius from New Zealand and Miocene in age. If nothing else, at least it starting to look like a crab. Not a happy camper right now.

RB

DSCN1662.JPG

• I found this Informative 2

Ok, again, took me awhile to get to this next prep picture. About 8.5 more hours!   Been doing lots of 3-d'ing.  thats takes a lot of rock removal in a careful way.  Also found the last segments of some of these legs.  Some real nose divers to say the least!!! But now, im a happy camper.  The right side of this thing is about as sexy as you can get when it comes to crab legs.  I thiink Im falling in love again.  :wub:    Ive still got lots of hours for this thing.  Im guessing about 20 plus more hours?  

RB

DSCN1665.JPG

DSCN1666.JPG

Edited by RJB
Wrong hours.
  • I found this Informative 1

Wow can’t wait see it finished beautiful job as usual. It is great to see it in all of its preparation stages. Thank you Ron

Though tedious, the 3D legs look pretty awesome! 

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Ok, ive got about 6 to 8 more hours into this thing. Ive been on the prep attack 3 times since the last post to get it this far.  Things just seem to get in the way.   Amazing how it doesn't look much different than the last post!  But now its about ready for some serious rock smoothing.  Its a big rock so lots of hours for the next and last stage.  And again,,  Just LOVE the legs on this thing!!!

RB

DSCN1668.JPG

Again, stuff got in the way of prep, but ive got 2 more prep sessions into this since my last post. This 'rock smoothing' is really taking some time. I know most preparators for these crabs grind the rock smooth and ive done that, but i do not like that at all. Every bit of this prep is done with air scribes. Anyways, ive got about 5 or 6 more hours into this thing and I can tell its gunna take another 12 to 15 hours to get it finished. Thats about 4or 5 more prep sessions for me. But for a one clawed crab, this is gunna be the best crab ive ever done for what i call a 'B-Grade' crab. Looking at this picture you can easily see how much better the back end of the rock looks with the 'rock smoothing'. Plus, it keeps me out of the bars and out of trouble. 1f642.png Never been in trouble so not really sure what thats all about? And a hardy har har.

DSCN1683.JPG

• I found this Informative 2

A Harlequin crab, how cool is that?

It reminds me of his little cousin here.

20180721_195247.png

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Ok, took 59 hours for this B-Grade crab.  You dont know how bad I wanted a left claw!!!  Such nice beautiful legs on this crab.  some of the best ive seen.  Its been quite a few years, but I believe i am going to post this on our favorite auction site.  I dont think it will sell because of what I will ask for it, but who knows.  If not, then it will be a very nice dust collector, or a very expensive door stop.  Ha!!! 

RB

DSCN1690.JPG

DSCN1691.JPG

DSCN1692.JPG

• I found this Informative 3

Turned out beautiful! Makes me a bit hungry though.   :drool:

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

I love reading these crab prep threads. 

It's like a sculpture, when you start out with a picture in your head and then slowly make it into a solid form. 

Beautiful crab. :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

1 hour ago, RJB said:

Thank you guys.  and ive already got my next project started. 

RB

So many crabs,,,, so little time.  Thanks for the story of the Scardy Cat Crab with beautiful legs missing a claw

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

I just realized that I dont have a good picture of the back end of this crab. Dang.  and such a nice lookin rear end too!

RB

3 minutes ago, RJB said:

I just realized that I dont have a good picture of the back end of this crab. Dang.  and such a nice lookin rear end too!

RB

You charmer, you. I bet you say that to all the crabs. :D:P 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

5 minutes ago, Kane said:

You charmer, you. I bet you say that to all the crabs.

Now that I read that I see how funny that is. 

RB

@RJB that looks stunning. You did really well on that crab and I love how the colors really pop. So much color variation. A true beauty.

Do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

Great work, it looks fantastic. Reminds me of an alien from some space movie. 

The matrix smoothing makes the fossil looks so much better, how do you do it with an airscribe?

Yorkshire Coast Fossil Hunter