Concretion fish from Jiangsu

I'm sorry, but I'm in a lot of trouble with the fish of Jurong, Jiangsu myself. The literature is contradictory, partly I only have bad copies and the different species look relatively similar.
To determine the fish one would have to see the head bones - unfortunately they are not visible here.

For sure not Sinolepidotus. These fish are often sold under the (invalid) name "Lepidotes jurongensis" or as Plesioperleidus.

This is all I have on fishes from Jurong, Jiangsu:

A NEW PARASEMIONOTID-LIKE FISH FROM THE LOWER TRIASSIC OF JURONG JIANGSU PROVINCE South China.pdf

A new species of Sinolepidotus from Late Mesozoic of southern Jiangsu with comments on the genus Sinolepidotus.pdf

A revision of the perleidid fishes from the lower Yangtze region.pdf

Discovery of Early Triassic Fish Fossils and Its Significances in Jurong Jangsu Province.pdf

EARLY TRIASSIC FISHES FR0M JUR0NG JIANGSU.pdf

• I found this Informative 4

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

1 hour ago, oilshale said:

I'm sorry, but I'm in a lot of trouble with the fish of Jurong, Jiangsu myself. The literature is contradictory, partly I only have bad copies and the different species look relatively similar.
To determine the fish one would have to see the head bones - unfortunately they are not visible here.

For sure not Sinolepidotus.

This is all I have on fishes from Jurong, Jiangsu:

A NEW PARASEMIONOTID-LIKE FISH FROM THE LOWER TRIASSIC OF JURONG JIANGSU PROVINCE South China.pdf

A new species of Sinolepidotus from Late Mesozoic of southern Jiangsu with comments on the genus Sinolepidotus.pdf

A revision of the perleidid fishes from the lower Yangtze region.pdf

Discovery of Early Triassic Fish Fossils and Its Significances in Jurong Jangsu Province.pdf

EARLY TRIASSIC FISHES FR0M JUR0NG JIANGSU.pdf

Many thanks!  This specimen seems to be preserved well except the head which is said to be crystallized.  I have seen some others which usually have no tail.

• I found this Informative 1

6 hours ago, Crazyhen said:

Many thanks!  This specimen seems to be preserved well except the head which is said to be crystallized.  I have seen some others which usually have no tail.

Do you have both sides? Then you could glue the head together and prep the head from above.

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

5 hours ago, oilshale said:

Do you have both sides? Then you could glue the head together and prep the head from above.

I don't have the fossil fish in my hands.  As the fossil digging site at Jurong no longer exists, that means there is no more concretion fish from Jurong other than those collected before, there are not many available for sale and they are rather expensive.  I am still thinking whether I should acquire this, for it is preserved quite well, except the head.

• I found this Informative 2

Being that the head bones are not there, and cannot be ID'd,  my idea of expensive would be about $100.  Just my opinion.  Would love to have one though.

RB

On 6/27/2018 at 4:04 PM, caldigger said:

Wouldlookgoodicus inmycabinetinesis

:rofl:

RB