SgtZabka

Here are the first few fossils that I have collected. I did not find these myself rather I bought them at a rock store and had them checked out at the New Mexico Museum of Natural History.

Trilobite 

DSC_0966.jpg

Mosasaur tooth and root  (didn't buy any of the jaws thanks to the advice I found lurking on this site so I bought this instead. The paleontologist at the museum said it was legit :dinothumb:)

DSC_0969.jpg

Agreed my first fossils in my collection were shark tooth and then get more fish and amphibian fossils and finally to dinosaurs.

Of course, a museum is always a great start for a never-ending fossil craze ;).

I'm no expert in trilobites or any fossil invertebrates, but I think your trilobite is most likely a Elrathia kingi from the U-Dig Quarry in Utah. 

The mosasaur tooth, unfortunately, appears to be a partial composite. This means that parts of the fossil is real and also fake. There appears to be plaster between the crown and root and alongside the midsection (the sandy smooth parts. The porous parts are real bone). This is very common from Moroccan mosasaur teeth to be glued to random unrelated root bones with plaster in order to fake a rooted mosasaur tooth. But despite that, it's a really nice addition!

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

28 minutes ago, Macrophyseter said:

Of course, a museum is always a great start for a never-ending fossil craze ;).

I'm no expert in trilobites or any fossil invertebrates, but I think your trilobite is most likely a Elrathia kingi from the U-Dig Quarry in Utah. 

The mosasaur tooth, unfortunately, appears to be a partial composite. This means that parts of the fossil is real and also fake. There appears to be plaster between the crown and root and alongside the midsection (the sandy smooth parts. The porous parts are real bone). This is very common from Moroccan mosasaur teeth to be glued to random unrelated root bones with plaster in order to fake a rooted mosasaur tooth. But despite that, it's a really nice addition!

Is there a way I can separate it so that I just have the real bits? 

8 minutes ago, SgtZabka said:

Is there a way I can separate it so that I just have the real bits? 

I don't think that's a good idea, but I have found that soaking it in water makes it very easy to scrape off, but then you'll have to deal with the glue.

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

Great start! It's good you have a museum that's willing to examine your specimens. 

8 hours ago, Macrophyseter said:

Elrathia kingi from the U-Dig Quarry in Utah. 

The U-dig fossil farm is a  new and very small site within the Wheeler shale, and the trilobites can be found throughout the formation.

Over the years there have been many commercial claims and lots of area open to non commercial digging.

Although it may have been found at the U-dig site, odds are that it came from another site in the Wheeler shale.

9 hours ago, SgtZabka said:

Thanks, have to start somewhere :)

You have made a good start. Nice pieces.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Nice start! The ammonite is cleonoceras from Madagascar I believe, sliced and polished as they usually are. I agree that the mosasaur tooth is composite, but at least the tooth is real! I would remove the fake part if I were you, less misleading that way.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

2 hours ago, ynot said:

The U-dig fossil farm is a  new and very small site within the Wheeler shale, and the trilobites can be found throughout the formation.

Over the years there have been many commercial claims and lots of area open to non commercial digging.

Although it may have been found at the U-dig site, odds are that it came from another site in the Wheeler shale.

You have made a good start. Nice pieces.

Is U-Dig a shady place or what?? 

1 hour ago, WhodamanHD said:

Nice start! The ammonite is cleonoceras from Madagascar I believe, sliced and polished as they usually are. I agree that the mosasaur tooth is composite, but at least the tooth is real! I would remove the fake part if I were you, less misleading that way.

So it’s polished not petrified? 

7 minutes ago, SgtZabka said:

So it’s polished not petrified? 

Depends on your definition of petrified, it is a fossil made of minerals. The nacre and the colors are all real, it’s just been polished to make it smooth and shinier. It was also cut before the actual end of the ammonite, if that makes sense, probably because the end wasn’t preserved well and they wanted it to end nicely. These are all common practices. Though I prefer my ammonites au natural, I have one of those as well.

Edit: PS, polishing also helps show sutures better

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

23 minutes ago, SgtZabka said:

What makes you ask that?  It is a reputable pay to dig quarry that many of our members will stand up for.

Or are you asking if there are lots of trees around?

26 minutes ago, caldigger said:

What makes you ask that?  It is a reputable pay to dig quarry that many of our members will stand up for.

Or are you asking if there are lots of trees around?

Just wasn’t sure lol I’ve seen the name here and there and couldn’t get a feel on the opinions of it 

1 hour ago, SgtZabka said:

It is in the middle of the desert with nary a tree in sight, no shade as far as I can recall.

As for the operation, it is a friendly and well run fossil farm with plenty of good trilobites to be found..

I just meant that the trilobite You have may have been dug elsewhere in the formation.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Some awesome finds from 6/29/18, shout out to @PFOOLEY for really helping me out in terms of what to look for and where to find things!

Fossilized Sea Floor

FinishedFossil-1.jpg

Archived