SgtZabka

On 7/1/2018 at 8:16 PM, Bone guy said:

Those chunks of sea floor are very cool! 

Thanks! I could try and find more if you'd like one?

Because I am now collecting and buying fossils, I will start naming the source on how I got them.

Ammonite - given to me by @PFOOLEY

FinishedFossil-11.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Amber - bought at South West Minerals in Abq, NM. Sold as "blue amber", while I am not sure about the blue part, I know that this is real amber as I did a heat rub on it and an acetone rub, smells like pine and didn't melt or become sticky.

FinishedFossil-12.jpg

Megalodon Tooth 2 3/4" (7cm) long - Bought at South West Minerals in ABQ, NM

FinishedFossil-13.jpg

It’s not really blue amber, but most amber from chiapas or the DR will be blue-ish if you shine a bright light on it.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

5 hours ago, ynot said:

Looks like You picked up some good additions for Your collection.

Thanks! Hope to find more soon!

11 hours ago, SgtZabka said:

Ammonite - given to me by @PFOOLEY

Senor Frog, you picked up some nice items (I'm actually surprised you left there with only these :)).

The Ammonite is Spathites puercoensis, a Middle Turonian cephalopod from the Carlile Sea.

• I found this Informative 2

"I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in. Of what avail are forty freedoms without a blank spot on the map?"  ~Aldo Leopold (1887-1948) 

New Mexico Museum of Natural History Bulletins    

point.thumb.jpg.e8c20b9cd1882c9813380ade830e1f32.jpg research.jpg.932a4c776c9696d3cf6133084c2d9a84.jpg  RPV.jpg.d17a6f3deca931bfdce34e2a5f29511d.jpg  SJB.jpg.f032e0b315b0e335acf103408a762803.jpg  butterfly.jpg.71c7cc456dfbbae76f15995f00b221ff.jpg  Htoad.jpg.3d40423ae4f226cfcc7e0aba3b331565.jpg  library.jpg.56c23fbd183a19af79384c4b8c431757.jpg  OIP.jpg.163d5efffd320f70f956e9a53f9cd7db.jpg

I hope to make it over to the sea floor over near Albuquerque for some ammonites at some point.

On ‎6‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 6:14 AM, Bone guy said:

Great start! It's good you have a museum that's willing to examine your specimens. 

I have found the paleontologists at the NMMNH to be very accommodating and willing to take time to look at things.  I recently had a Triassic tooth looked at, and when I got it back, received a number of books on the paleontology of New Mexico with it!

• I found this Informative 2

On 6/27/2018 at 11:17 PM, SgtZabka said:

Thanks, have to start somewhere

Hi SgtZabka.  My very first fossil was just an impression of a clam.  You are starting out way better than I did.  Its a really cool hobbie and im sure you are going to aquire many more.  Keep it up. 

RB

7 minutes ago, SgtZabka said:

Large Ammonite (different field specimen)

6D95D868-C619-48C8-A87F-EBB88860AC05.jpeg

No silly, that’s George Washington! He may be old but he’s not a fossil:P:D

Nice ammonites! Did you try digging under the first one and removing it with the matrix?

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Just now, WhodamanHD said:

No silly, that’s George Washington! He may be old but he’s not a fossil:P:D

Nice ammonites! Did you try digging under the first one and removing it with the matrix?

I did not, next time :ammonite01:

Eh, nothing a couple of sticks of dynamite couldn't dislodge.;)

Dorensigbadges.JPG