Braidwood Iron Concretions

HB2

I FINALLY got something recognizable that didn't flake or crumble and now I don't know what it is.  It was collected near Monster Lake in Braidwood.  According to my identification book it may be a Cyperite, however, the book also says that these are "uncommon in most areas."  

20180627_204806.jpg

It has the general shape of Cyperites, but it is hard to tell for sure from the pictures- I would need a clearer one to be sure. 

I wouldn't say that it is particularly uncommon- in some areas I have collected it is one of the most common plants actually.

In addition to providing a better image, would cleaning the fossil help reveal more detail?  If so, what is the preferred method for this type?

Usually the cleaning of mason creek fossils is done with vinegar and a soft toothbrush.

This will clean off the white calcite, but Your fossil does not have much calcite.

I think side lighting the piece in the picture often brings out some detail that can help with ID.

Maybe @Nimravis will have an idea.

PS Us coins are not good reference pieces as many non US people have no idea how big they are. Please use a ruler.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.