Darko

Hi!

Found this guy today in Marlstone Quarry in Popovac,Serbia.I'm just not sure what kind of insect is it? Looks like a mosquito to me...

20180628_172756.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Looks like a mosquito to me. I’m sure the experts will be here soon to confirm or deny.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

7 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

Looks like a mosquito to me. I’m sure the experts will be here soon to confirm or deny.

:dinothumb:

Looks similar to mosquito to me. Great find!  :) 

I took the liberty of cropping and brightening your photos.

20180628_172756.jpg.a7d42837d3891c7bc8e58c4485a0d43a.jpg    20180628_134531.jpg.3baf926b0398f1ff7c36e1ef8fdbc289.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I always love to see your great finds :1-SlapHands_zpsbb015b76: The details are great :wub::wub:

Many greetings from Germany ! Have a great time with many fossils :)

Regards Sebastian

Belo.gif

I can't help but start itching just looking at this plate. Nice find.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Time to get out the syringe and extract some non-avian dinosaur blood… Get ready, folks - we're starting a real life Jurassic Park!! *incidental music plays in the background* :D

Neat find, by the way ;)  

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

looks like the one I swatted in my yard that fell on top of my granite table outside...can't believe they've been pests for so long.  What time period is it from...just curious it may provide a reason humans developed the large flexible hands we have. :hearty-laugh:

Looks like a Mosquito (Culicidae) or a midge (Chironomidae) to me.  Nice find.

• I found this Informative 3

6 minutes ago, Peat Burns said:

Looks like a Mosquito (Culicidae) or a midge (Chironomidae) to me.  Nice find.

Thanks

29 minutes ago, dalmayshun said:

looks like the one I swatted in my yard that fell on top of my granite table outside...can't believe they've been pests for so long.  What time period is it from...just curious it may provide a reason humans developed the large flexible hands we have. :hearty-laugh:

Hahahahaha true :D

1 hour ago, The Amateur Paleontologist said:

Time to get out the syringe and extract some non-avian dinosaur blood… Get ready, folks - we're starting a real life Jurassic Park!! *incidental music plays in the background* :D

Neat find, by the way ;)  

Jahahahahah thanks :D

...and these are larvae? :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Really is some amazing preservation there!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

12 hours ago, abyssunder said:

...and these are larvae? :)

This could be the key! :D

12 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

Really is some amazing preservation there!

Yup :)

That's amazing that the mosquito has been so well preserved. As was pointed out, all it takes is a fast moving human hand to destroy such delicate, but somewhat despicable, bug. It is quite obvious that it's been put through more pressure than a man's defensive swat. I get that such insects are well preserved in amber, and perhaps other such materials, but stone? Wow!

Somewhat interesting that it was found a mere 250 miles (?) or so from Transylvania, a known hangout for other blood-sucking types that are said to live forever. You might want to keep your find in a well lit room. ;)

Impressive find. Congrat's from this newbie. Cheers.

• I found this Informative 3

8 hours ago, MrR said:

That's amazing that the mosquito has been so well preserved. As was pointed out, all it takes is a fast moving human hand to destroy such delicate, but somewhat despicable, bug. It is quite obvious that it's been put through more pressure than a man's defensive swat. I get that such insects are well preserved in amber, and perhaps other such materials, but stone? Wow!

Somewhat interesting that it was found a mere 250 miles (?) or so from Transylvania, a known hangout for other blood-sucking types that are said to live forever. You might want to keep your find in a well lit room. ;)

Impressive find. Congrat's from this newbie. Cheers.

Hahahah thanks @MrR

On 6/28/2018 at 6:33 PM, Fossildude19 said:

Looks similar to mosquito to me. Great find!  :) 

I took the liberty of cropping and brightening your photos.

20180628_172756.jpg.a7d42837d3891c7bc8e58c4485a0d43a.jpg    20180628_134531.jpg.3baf926b0398f1ff7c36e1ef8fdbc289.jpg