Leaf fossil?

daves64

Found this leaf looking rock a couple weeks ago in central Washington State. At least it looks like a leaf to me, right down to the center part. Never seen a rock that looked fibrous or cellular like this. Measurements are 4cm long x 3.5cm wide x 1.5cm thick at its thickest.  Any ideas?

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

Very cool fibrousy looking rock. I've never seen a concretion like it and I wonder if it's some kind of volcanic product. Maybe you could look at this map and give a better idea of the location.

ger_popular_geomap_state.png

"Journey through a universe ablaze with changes" Phil Ochs

This looks like a good candidate for suspicion that algae was involved in the concretion process.

I retract My earlier statement, not a concretion. 

It is covered with an iron oxide crust. I have seen this in ancient river gravels. The shape also indicates it has been tumbled in a river type environment. If it is from an ancient river, it could have traveled a long ways.

The inner part looks like a box work mineral deposit.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

• 2 months later...

I took new pics of this rock with a much better camera, better lighting & also a Dino lite. Does this clear things up a little as to what it may be? Pic 1 is original with the circle showing the area of the closer & bug's eye views.  Dino Lite is at 50x.

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

Same general area, at 100x magnification, 2 pics, 2nd is slightly deeper focus.

7.jpg

8.jpg

I don't know what it is. Its shaped like a leaf mostly & thick like a succulent plant's leaf. But it seems to be a rock.

I remember this. It had what looked like fibers running every which way and it reminded me of horse poop. I know there are horse fossils found in your state but

I still don't know the time period of your find (saying 'central' doesn't narrow it down enough). I put a geologic map in a previous comment and it might seriously help to know this for ID. Also would help to know if it eroded out of a formation layer or was found in a creek or etc. :)

Apparently this is the Ellensburg formation, dating back to the Neogene . The rock is from river rock that was dredged from the Yakima river, so no telling where its from exactly. Ellensburg is the town I live in.

Your rock is very interesting; fibrous until it's magnified, then the boxwork under magnification, and the dark translucent covering layer that remains in places (not to mention the stick looking thing you magnified).

I'm hoping someone figures this out as I cannot. Can only guess it might be plant material.

On 9/7/2018 at 2:48 PM, JohnJ said:

Eroded seed pod?

That's definitely something to consider but the narrow band of fibrous material that runs through the center is throwing me off.

I found this interesting:

5b968fdfe6f19_driftfruits.JPG.836ba654d895f51455b9596e60428dc4.JPG

from:  https://www2.palomar.edu/users/warmstrong/pldec398.htm

My mind keeps going back to a succulent leaf just by the thickness. That center fibrous thing reminds me of the center "vein" of a thick leaf. I dunno. Guess it may be time to take it to the local university to see if someone there has any ideas. 

24 minutes ago, daves64 said:

Guess it may be time to take it to the local university to see if someone there has any ideas. 

Hands on by local experts is great idea. Please let us know the results. I'm genuinely curious, now.

4 hours ago, Innocentx said:

That's definitely something to consider but the narrow band of fibrous material that runs through the center is throwing me off.

I found this interesting:

5b968fdfe6f19_driftfruits.JPG.836ba654d895f51455b9596e60428dc4.JPG

from:  https://www2.palomar.edu/users/warmstrong/pldec398.htm

I was thinking of a couple of these as eroded.  I suspect there is a fibrous structure running deeper than the surface in some of them.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Archived