Crocodile/turtle eggs ??

Darko

Hi! 

I also found this today but it looks like some kind of eggs.Like a nest with eggs to be exact.I found it in Popovac Marlstone Quarry. Here has been found Diplocynodon moraviensis,so  maybe this could be from Him? Also maybe concretion...I need your thoughts!

Thanks

20180628_145734.jpg

20180628_145732.jpg

1 minute ago, ynot said:

Could be trace fossils or concretions, not eggs.

A view of the side of the rock may help.

Maybe it's a cross section of the egg? 

Turtle or croc eggs are also found in a clutch together.   Unlikely that they are looks more geologic.  

I’m in the concretion camp.

55 minutes ago, Darko said:

Diplocynodon moraviensis,so  maybe this could be from Him?

If they were eggs, they’d probably be from a her.;)

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

5 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

I’m in the concretion camp.

If they were eggs, they’d probably be from a her.;)

My bad..:D Sorry..

The samples in question are interesting. :)
Although the thema may exceed my boundaries in geology, I'll try (only) to give some ideas. :headscratch:
Considering the location of the find, it's clear that we are dealing with clay minerals: smectite, bentonite, kaolinite, allophane, and possibly "balls" of them. It will be difficult to determine the chemical composition or crystalline structure of the "balls" without more constituent analyze (like XRD analyse), but I wonder, if the formation of them can't be associated to dispersion / flocculation (coagulation).

According to - V. Simic & P. Uhlik. 2006. Crystallite size distribution of clay minerals from selected Serbian clay deposits. Annales Geologiques De La Peninsule Balkanique 67: 109-116  -

the clay mineral of the Paracin Basin, Popovac deposit is Lower Miocene volcano-sedimentary.

" The smectite samples are also of different origin. Both Popovac bentonites, interbedded in marlstone in the quarry near the Paracin Town and the Mecji Do deposit near the Vlasotince Town, are typical volcano-sedimentary rocks formed as a result of “in situ” subaqual alteration of the volcanic tuff. "

(There's a step to the Mayan clay balls used for "barbeque", but they were made by humans, as the Vinca Culture's clay balls supposed to be used as sling balls. link )

What is sure, the flowering plant is Hypericum perforatum. :)

• I found this Informative 2

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

6 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

I'm not real positive, but I think he agrees with me. :)

I do :)

4 hours ago, Rockwood said:

I'm not real positive, but I think he agrees with me. :)

Two out of three (Me, Myself and I) agree with you.  :D

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library