SomeOtherHominid

I am new to this site so I don't know how to post everything efficiently. I found it in Maine in a creek next to my grandparents house. It is 6 1/2 Inches long. I will post more photos soon and will keep you posted :)

It being a Pleistocene fossil is probably not completely out of the question, but even that would be extremely unlikely from a stream. The surface waters here are too acidic for bones to survive for very long. This is more likely to be a modern bone.

Minerals and other elements in ground water quickly stain bone dark. Bones that have been cooked are more often mistaken for fossils. 

• I found this Informative 3

Thank you! My grandparents house used to be a farm with goats. I have thought to myself that it could be a modern goat bone, but it has always peaked my interest. Here are some more pics: 

1530333292165417828827.jpg

2 hours ago, SomeOtherHominid said:

Also worth mentioning: it has bite marks on the back of it

Rodents, porcupines especially, commonly gnaw on bones. For their mineral content, I believe.

It's difficult to find shed antlers that haven't been chewed.

I appreciate the help. If I find anything more interesting I'll post it. I agree it could more likely be a modern bone, but I don't know what it would belong to. Most of my fossil hunts have been in Maine and I will probably go back for some more

Can you put a flame on it? If it’s modern it will smell pretty bad, if fossilised it won’t smell. :) 

can we we have a scale that’s recognised internationally ie a ruler not a coin. 

I will put a flame to a fragment that fell off, but I would have a hard time putting a flame to the whole thing. Somewhat switching gears, does anybody know what animal it would belong to?

13 hours ago, SomeOtherHominid said:

I will put a flame to a fragment that fell off, but I would have a hard time putting a flame to the whole thing. Somewhat switching gears, does anybody know what animal it would belong to?

Not sure what animal, but it looks to be a scapula (shoulder bone), some reference (coin or soda can) would be useful to determine how big it is.

rydysig.JPG

11 minutes ago, RyanDye said:

some reference (coin or soda can)

Please us a ruler. non American members may not know the sizes of US coins.

My guess on this is a cow scapula, but knowing the size may change that.

• I found this Informative 1

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

9 minutes ago, ynot said:

Please us a ruler. non American members may not know the sizes of US coins.

My guess on this is a cow scapula, but knowing the size may change that.

Oh yeah, thanks I completely forgot about that, thanks.

rydysig.JPG

22 hours ago, SomeOtherHominid said:

Most of my fossil hunts have been in Maine and I will probably go back for some more

Finding any good stuff ?

I did find a Brachiopod fossil at Reid State park. That's all I've found that I know for sure is a fossil. I thought i'd ask, are there any Pleistocene fossils in Maine. I live in NH but I do visit Maine very frequently.

3 hours ago, SomeOtherHominid said:

I did find a Brachiopod fossil at Reid State park. That's all I've found that I know for sure is a fossil. I thought i'd ask, are there any Pleistocene fossils in Maine. I live in NH but I do visit Maine very frequently.

In the southern part of the state it's about all that can really be collected other than stray eratics such as you have. They would be found in the Presumpscott formation. It's a marine clay which is bluish in color when freshly exposed, but weathers to brown. It is often easier to find in gravel pit exposures. 

• I found this Informative 2